21. Cliché

Viridian watched his mate's face turn red like a tomato's. He was never good at beating around the bush and he knew that he sucks at that even when he tries.

"Don't s-say it like that," Lyris spoke when he recovered from his coughing fit.

Viridian growled lowly.

He stood up, and in a fraction of a second he was beside his mate, guarding him.

"Virus, I sense something. It's nothing good."

Lyris quickly stood up with his claws extended, standing beside his mate.

Soon a foul smell invaded his nose and he growled lowly. The two of them had their date in the secluded balcony of the restaurant, so the smell reached the air around them faster.

There were screams coming from downstairs and the two of them did not waste a second to barge in.

"Banshees and...hunters? Why the fuck do they smell like rotten corpse?" Lyris asked, resisting the urge to cover his nose.

Viridian shook his head.

"Call the squad, we need to evacuate these people and anyone near this place."

Their restaurant was nearing a camping site and it became a famous local hotspot for the teenagers and college students in town.

Lyris didn't hesitate as he called over Squad Q via the transmitter.

Viridian was fighting off a banshee that tried to scratch him and Lyris was almost shot by one of the hunters.

"What the fuck they smell like crap," Viridian frowned, snapping the banshees' neck one by one. "You need a hand over there?"

He asked his mate.

Lyris growled.

"Does it look like I need a hand over here?"

He was knocking out the hunters one by one, since many of them might have been compelled to go on a hunt like this. Especially around a hybrid and an alpha wolf.

Malek appeared inside the restaurant, flying a bike.

"Dude! How the fuck are you in the air?" Viridian asked as soon as he saw him.

"It's a flying drone/bike, I ordered it three months ago," Malek boasted.

"Let's also not forget you put a dent in the pack's expenditure," Lyris muttered, punching a hunter in this gut.

"It's handy uh," Malek defended with a groan, shooting a banshee with one of his guns, trying to aim for their face. "I'm here faster than the other clowns. Lingaa is still a mile away."

Viridian whistled.

No matter how many they seemed to take down, more banshees and hunters kept appearing out of nowhere.

"Who's evacuating the people?" Malek asked.

"You?" The half vampire deadpanned.

"Ahh shit," Malek groaned, getting right to it.

Viridian succeeded in taking down all of the banshees and he soon came to his mate's aid.

Lyris stopped him just as he was about to snap a hunter's neck.

"Dian, don't kill the hunters, there's a good chance they might've been compelled."

"Trying not to kill them is harder," the half vampire complained but got his job done.

Soon it was just the two of them around a pile of dead or unconscious banshees and hunters. Squad Q was just about done evacuating all the mundanes from the location and were awaiting further orders.

Viridian looked at his mate with a small smirk.

"Shall we continue with our date?"

--

"You were on a date?" Kingsley asked, leaning on one of the floating chairs in the now barely restored restaurant.

Viridian shrugged.

The squad ended up staying at the restaurant, setting up the chairs and tables and cleaning up the place by throwing out the banshees and hunters at the back of the van that Rama brought. It was time for sunrise by the time they were done.

The lot of the boys were scattered around the restaurant, fighting off sleep.

"What next? We can't be sitting around and waiting for another attack," Lingaa suggested.

"True. So we're going to be battle ready," Lyris spoke, leaning into his mate.

"Battle?" Malek gawked.

Tolen rolled his eyes.

"But what are their intentions? Even if we're battle ready we can't just charge in without knowing what they want." He implied.

"That's the basic strategy when push comes to shove. Our actual plan is to find out what their motive is." Lyris tried to explain.

"I don't understand," Lingaa frowned.

"I'll explain," the half vampire announced.

He took in a breath of air before beginning.

"First things first, we don't know what to expect from these attacks, so our basic need is to be battle ready. That's a given, so we'll start training more, we can't simply rely on the gadgets of this era. Second, we need to find out what the enemy's motive is, and who the enemy is. So we're going to infiltrate. Project infiltration."

"Infiltration?" Rama looked confused.

"Yes, one or two of us will be infiltrating the enemy territory. We'll put the best trackers in our pack to find their territory and we're going to merge in."

"Who's doing the infiltration?" Malek asked, opening a packet of Cheetos.

"Tolen and I will be best for the job," Viridian stated.

Lyris wanted to protest, but he himself couldn't deny that those two are indeed right for that job.

"What then?" Kingsley interjected.

"We find out who the big shot is from the inside and kill them." Viridian concluded. "Any questions?"

"What about the chick that claimed to be your mate?" Lingaa asked curiously.

"Said chick might as well be our enemy so we're visiting there as well--Tolen and I."

Lyris frowned.

"What if you get caught there? Then you won't be able to infiltrate without any hassle." He stated.

"That's why we have witches. Job done, we kill the enemy." The half vampire assured.

"When did you think of all this?" Tolen smirked.

"Ten minutes ago. I drafted other plans but this seemed like a solid one."

"Ten minutes? Are you secretly a genius?" Malek asked, munching on his Cheetos and swatting Kingsley's hand away when he tried to take some.

"I might be," the half vampire grinned.

"But we need a plan B. Just in case," Lyris decided.

"Yeah about that," Viridian began, "We need to find a person from the enemy and bribe him to assassinate the leader. Witches involved of course."

The squad nodded.

"Please but can we rename the operation?" Malek asked.

"To what?" Tolen raised a brow.

"Operation Cheetos."