42. Madness

Lyris woke up alone in his bed the next day, but found his mate cooking breakfast in the kitchen. Shirtless.

"Morning," Viridian mumbled in his morning voice that Lyris found very attractive. Viridian inched towards his mate, giving him a kiss on the forehead. "I made toast with omelette and some watermelon juice."

Lyris said nothing as he pulled his mate in a hug and clung to him like a child. The half vampire looked down at his mate and smiled to himself, thinking how lucky he was to have Lyris as his mate.

"I don't feel like working today," Lyris muttered, sitting on one of the high chairs that automatically raised him up to the island's height.

"Do you want to go out somewhere?" Viridian asked, sitting opposite to his mate, pushing around their breakfast.

"You mean like a date?" Lyris' face lit up.

Viridian shrugged. "Yes."

"Okay, take me somewhere good." Lyris wiggled his eyebrows.

Viridian rolled his eyes. "Of course. Let's go out this evening."

Soon, after getting dressed and ready for the day, both of them were too invested in each other's company and sense of comfort that they brought each other that they didn't want to leave, which is how, Viridian and Lyris started arguing about leaving the house.

"It's one day, you don't have to go to the gym everyday," Lyris reasoned, his limbs lazily hanging from the couch. "We can just stay here and watch tv. Plus, you've already showered."

Viridian was slowly starting to like the idea of staying in with Lyris, since it wasn't something they got to do often.

"Fine," Viridian grunted, falling atop his mate on the couch lazily.

"Move you big oaf," Lyris grumbled, moving around the couch and settled once he felt comfortable--Viridian laying on his chest between his legs.

Viridian brought his mate's hands around his shoulder to hold them there. He secretly enjoyed spending time with his mate like this, and according to him, skipping gym was so worth it.

"Awfully comfortable aren't you?" Lyris muttered, combing down the hair on his mate's nape with his fingers.

"Very."

They stayed like that for a while, watching whatever that they could find on the television and lazing around using the AI bots to bring them snacks and drinks, until Lyris began thinking about what happened to Tolen.

"Dian," Lyris started slowly. "What happened to Tolen?"

Viridian sunk into his mate further, having him close however he can. He knew he could try and stall, but he'd rather move things out of his way than keep them pending.

The half vampire took a deep breath before he began.

"When we infiltrated Klaven, Tolen and I decided that we'd see through the end of the mission, no matter what, but things took a turn when one of the guards found his gauntlet that witches have and began questioning him."

He paused, and leaned back, his head falling onto his mate's shoulder.

"Apparently Klaven is a wolves-only pack. They don't have witches among them, or any other clan member other than wolves. Tolen assured me he was fine and I carried on with the mission, getting close with the alpha of Klaven. Word spread around Klaven that told and was a witch but people also said that he had escaped."

Viridian absentmindedly played with his mate's fingers.

"Tolen escaped but they found him eventually they were going to force him to speak up but both of us fled before they could find out more and target Hayari. After that Tolen told me that he was going to take some time off and just rest."