26. Two years

It had been two years since Lyris saw Viridian. Two years since Lyris' royal status was announced, and a year since he became Alpha.

Lyris Hatchet was no longer Lyris Hatchet, the eighteen-year old boy. He was Lyris Hatchet, Alpha of Hayari.

"It's an all clan meeting, and I want to be there representing the entire Werewolf Clan," Lyris stated, sitting before the Alphas of the nation, and the Werewolf Clan leader.

"You have no experience, boy, how can we let a twenty-year-old represent the entire Werewolf Clan?" An elder Alpha spoke up, his grey hair sweeping the floor.

Lyris smiled innocently. "This is an all-clan meeting, and everyone is addressed professionally. How would you prefer if I call you a grey-hag, being unprofessional like you?"

A few snickers echoed around the hall. There were around ninety Alphas attending the meeting, which meant there were ninety werewolf packs around the nation. There were Alphas who, like Lyris, were young in age, and there were also Alphas like the old man, who were thinking backwards.

"But why should you represent us? Isn't it more respectful of you to let an elder represent the Werewolf Clan?" Another elder spoke up.

Lyris shook his head with a light chuckle, getting on the old Alphas' nerves. "I'm the Alpha of Hayari, one of the most powerful pack in the nation. Half of the resources that you have, was provided by us. Which means I have enough resources to support the entire Clan, as a single pack. But let's be real--you're old, backward in the way you think, don't get along with most of the younger packs that make up majority of the clan and I'm not specifically talking about your pack, this relates to all the elder Alphas in this meeting, so I'm asking," a sly smile graced his lips. "Why shouldn't I represent us?"

The Werewolf Clan Leader, Otashi Taro, studied Lyris with careful eyes.

This meeting was held not only because an All-Clan meeting was called in, this meeting was also held because the current Clan Leader, Otashi Taro, was retiring. This meant that the leader position for the Werewolf Clan was up for debate.

"Why don't we just let Alpha Otashi decide?" Jashin, the Alpha of Payan and Lyris' good friend, spoke up. "After all, he is the current leader."

Murmurs of agreement erupted and the elder Alphas' faces contorted.

As Lyris had said, the majority of the Werewolf Clan had a lot of young packs lead by younger Alphas just like Lyris, so making friends among the younger Alphas never seemed like a problem since all of them were moving forward towards a better future for the Clan.

Jashin shot Lyris a quick wink, making Lyris grin.

"I agree." Otashi Taro spoke up. "I vote for Lyris as the face of the Werewolf Clan. Those in favour of this decision, please raise your hands."

More than half the hall raised its hands, and no elder seemed to be in favour of this decision.

Otashi Taro announced with a gentle smile. "It's settled then, Lyris will attend over the All-Clan meeting next week."

--

"That old hag really had it out for you, huh," Jashin spoke as he lit his cigarette.

Lyris scoffed. "They all are."

The two were waiting for their Betas outside Heli Lake, to step around after patrolling the borders of Hayari and Payan. Both of the packs were in very good alliances with each other, and were also neighbors, not to mention, the Alphas of both the packs were very good friends.

"Who's preciding over the meeting next week?" Jashin leaned back on one of the trees.

"There are rumors saying it'll be a witch, which is most likely true." Lyris replied, crouching low beside the lake. "They're here."