13. Dumbfounded

Lyris was dumbfounded.

He was standing in a corner of the pack-house office as his uncle gave out instructions.

His uncle left him alone after dropping a bomb on him.

Vampires don't shift. But what shift did his uncle even mean? A much more mature vampire? Or something else?

"Hey, you good?" Malek approached his cousin.

Lyris ran a hand through his hair, looking frustrated.

"I just wish I knew what to do. God knows what he's doing out there right now," he muttered, feeling angry at himself.

"I repeat, no werewolf is allowed near Viridian Yari, especially you, Lyris. The rest, approach him with caution, we have not experienced something like this before so be prepared for anything," Lyris' uncle declared. "Now move, go to him."

Lyris slumped against the wall feeling utterly helpless.

"It's all happening so fast," he mumbled.

Malek clapped him on the shoulder gently.

"I might not know how exactly you feel right now, Ly, but I do know what you should do. You need to be mentally steady right now, for both of your sake. Do whatever you can to help him from a distance."

Lyris was beginning to feel less helpless.

"Okay, yes, fuck this, I have to go to him immediately."

"I don't think you heard what I said--"

"I heard exactly what you said, but I'm his mate, Mal, it has to mean something."

Lyris looked resolved now more than ever.

"I'll be forced to knock you out, Lyris."

"Not if I beat you to it."

Without wasting a second Lyris knocked his cousin out cold with a blow to his nose.

"I'm sooo sorry Mal, but I have to go." Lyris whispered.

He silently followed his pack members parallely so they couldn't smell him.

But what he didn't notice was another werewolf gaining on him.

"Some of us are not as dumb as you think," Kingsley commented.

"Ah fuck you're good at sneaking up on people," Lyris spoke after flinching.

"Malek's bad mad at you right now y'know."

The two werewolves were keeping up with the rest of the pack in complete darkness.

"I'm going to get a lot of shit for that."

"He was going to let you go, you know, only if he could tag along but you knocked the poor guy out cold, now he's got a witch icing his nose, it's not healing itself."

"It's not healing itself? Why?" Lyris frowned, feeling guilty.

Kingsley shrugged.

The two boys then stopped, as soon as the pack stopped.

"He's around here," Kingsley said. "Be on guard."

"It's so quiet." Lyris whispered.

"They're monitoring him with this," Kingsley handed him a pocket monitor.

"I thought the cameras and speakers around the forest didn't work."

"After the rogues invasion, the security's been bulked up. Everything's repaired."