29. All over again

Lyris held his breath as the familiar scent hit him as it did the first time, if not maybe more. He felt Malek tense beside him. He inhaled deeply, not taking his eyes off the table beneath him.

I'm an Alpha, and a representative of the Werewolf Clan, and I will act so.

Lyris' face was immediately void of any emotion as he blankly looked up, ready to face anything and anyone.

He thought his resolve might break when he heard the shoes click.

A tall vampire entered the hall in all his black glory, dressed to perfection with a toothy and sinister grin. It looked like God took more time building him judging by his sharp fangs that elongated with his smile.

Viridian Yari was walking down the hall, confidently and eyes straight.

A part of Lyris was hurt that he wasn't even spared a glance, but he maintained a passive exterior.

"Viridian Yari, the main branch of the royal vampire." Ralon stated.

Lyris frowned. Main branch?

Lyris didn't pay any attention to the rest of the words of the presiding Witch as he was staring at Viridian, and slightly frustrated at the lack of attention he received from his former mate. He curled his hands into a fist as he waited for the meeting to get over.

--

"That dude was announced as a royal? Here? Today?" Kole fired off as they walked away from the crowded hall.

Lyris nodded worldlessly.

"Well, did he say anything?" Jashin asked, leaning on the tree behind them, as he watched a lot of the crowd flock around the royal vampire.

Lyris shook his head.

Everybody were thinking of what to say next, but it was surprisingly Lyris himself who spoke.

"The rational thing would be to end the bond." He crossed his arms against his chest, appearing deep in thought but in reality he had no clue what to do.

"You're going to end the bond?" Malek's voice was heavy.

Lyris looked up at him but said nothing.

"If that's what you want." Jashin commented.

Kole shook his head vigorously. "Don't be feeding him dumbass ideas, Jash." He caught Lyris by the shoulders and spoke. "I know you're clueless right now so I'll knock some sense into you; he's your mate. For this lifetime, don't do something you're going to regret."

Jashin shook his head. "But that dickhead literally up and left, no contact whatsoever."

The Betas silently watched their Alphas argue.

"Yes there must be a reason behind that." Kole stared down at Jashin.

Lyris sighed, his two friends, dumb and dumber were arguing and it would lead nowhere.

"Malek found his mate." He blurted.

Everybody turned to look at Malek who blushed a deep shade of red as soon as word of his mate was mentioned. "Wh-what?"

"Dude, that's great man." Kole slapped his back.

Lyris sighed again, feeling relieved to not have the spotlight on him anymore.

"I'll get something to eat." He turned around and started walking, not waiting for a reply.

He walked to the nearest convenience store instead of using Malek's bike buddy, because he figured he could use that time to think but that was pointless since his mind was blank.

But he knew one thing and Kole's voice echoed at the back of his head.

He's my mate in this lifetime.

With that going around his mind he picked up a jar of mango pickles, but he was immediately knocked out of anything he was doing and thinking as the jar slipped out of his hands as more harder fingers grabbed it.

"Mangoes? Not really your best pick huh, Virus?"