34. Awakening

Lyris was hungry, but he didn't have the face to tell that to his mate, so he kept it to himself. But they're mates after all, they would know when something affects the other.

Viridian was driving as Lyris hungrily sat in the passenger seat, trying to sleep his hunger off.

Viridian swerved right, in front of a restaurant with AI parking.

"The rare steak tastes really good here," he commented, getting out of the car, letting the AI robot handle the rest. Lyris' lust for food developed fast.

The two went inside and sat down on the table that Viridian had received, and their silence was quickly filled in with the sound of spoons falling to the floor.

Lyris covered his face in embarrassment after he picked up the utensils he accidentally pushed. It had created a loud noise making a few people look over his way. Viridian just sat back and watched his mate.

He had an amused smile gracing his lips.

"I want to disappear." Lyris mumbled, as he tried to appear more casual, mirroring Viridian's posture.

"Chill, it can happen to anyone," Viridian chuckled.

"Still," Lyris grumbled.

They both looked through the menu for a while before settling for steak and grilled chicken.

"You can stomach werewolf food now?" Lyris asked, sounding curious.

Viridian shrugged. "I can. But I still need to take blood occasionally."

Lyris nodded slowly, processing this piece of information.

"So, what have you been doing? For the past three years?" Lyris asked, feeling a bit more comfortable.

Viridian sighed. He knew he had to explain, lay down some truths and he didn't want to do any of that. He only wanted to enjoy the time he had with his mate, but that can't be done if he doesn't tell Lyris anything.

"I worked with Ralon for a bit. I met him during the mission three years ago and found out that he was on a mission too. We traded information and planned to take down Klaven, but it went off course when they sunk into a depression."

Viridian sipped blood in his wine glass.

Lyris frowned. "Depression?"

"Yeah, economic and financial crisis. Klaven's Alpha owed money to the other packs he had ties. When those packs demanded it back, he was drained. People moved packs to survive, and naturally Ralon made me an offer, and I went along with it."

Lyris didn't skip a second when he spoke. "What offer?"

Viridian hesitated. "He said he'd help find my family."

The silence that followed was heavy. Lyris had so much frustration and confrontation reserved for Viridian but it all faded away and what remained was just pain.

"You could have told me, Dian." His voice turned small and soft.

That was not all. There was more to it, but the half-vampire was going to wait it out. He didn't want to overwhelm his mate by telling him the entire truth.

"I could've helped you, I'm your mate for fuck's sake." The gaze Lyris held had so much resentment and sadness that he couldn't put into words.

Viridian remained mum through it all.

Their food arrived just in time for them to divert away from their heavy conversation and focus on some heavenly food.

The AI robot did its job serving the food and was on its way.

Lyris couldn't even bring himself to look at his mate. All that pain and sadness wouldn't just go away over one lunch date, and Viridian knew that very well, but he missed his mate too.

"I'm sorry. I really am." Viridian voiced out, trying to hold his mate's gaze.

Lyris looked up at his mate and his face morphed into a less angry look as he nodded.

He wouldn't be able to forgive Viridian completely for the time being, but he knew there was something in store for them in the future.

They carried on with their lunch date with small talks and awkward glances, and obvious coughs.

This set up--date--made them realize how much they'd really missed each other, and it showed when they walked closer to each other as they walked back to the car.

"There's something I need to show you." The half-vampire voiced out as he started the car.

Lyris looked up at him and nodded. "Can we get some ice cream first?"

Viridian looked at his mate fondly and nodded with a small smile. He wasted no time in driving them to the nearest ice-cream parlour. He looked at his mate and asked as he got outside. "Mint Chocolate chip without the syrup, to go or do you want to have it in there?"

Lyris' heart beat a little louder when he realised that his mate still remembered his icecream order.

Lyris nodded. "To go."

Viridian left his mate in the car to get their ice-cream and was back in a jiffy, with Lyris' order and a Black Current cone for himself.

Lyris kept staring at his mate while they had their snack and turned away quickly before he could get caught staring, but Viridian knew.

"Lyris?"

Viridian called out after he finished his icecream and started the car.

Lyris hummed mindlessly, looking elsewhere.

"The chain; I want you to have it."

Lyris whipped his head fast. "What?"

The car moved smoothly on the highway.

"It's the only thing I ever gave you. I want you to keep it."

Lyris' throat clogged up and he swallowed a couple of times before nodding slowly.

They travelled like this in peaceful silence. Light music played in the background and their hands brushed ever so lightly while Viridian change the gears.

This only made both of them want more from each other.

Soon they reached a clearing on the outskirts of the town. The clearing was surrounded by tall trees and weird sounding birds.

"What's this place?" Lyris mumbled.

"Come." Viridian pulled Lyris along with him after they got down from the car.

Viridian wasn't even touching his mate's skin, he was only holding his shirt's sleeve, but even that made Lyris' heart thunder loudly.

Around the west side of the clearing there was a rusty old house, that looked like it was brought right from Hobbit.

"Hmm, cozy but fancy," Lyris muttered. "What's this place?"

Viridian let go of his mate but to Lyris' disappointment.

"We've been here before." The half-vampire stated.

Lyris frowned. "We've been here before?"

"Yeah, nineteen years ago. Our parents left us here."

--

Malek's and Akaashi's chapter coming soon!