confession

I don't see him coming so much as I feel him coming. Tingling slithers up my spine and goosebumps start to rise. I close my eyes as I feel him dip his head beside my ear.
"Meet me outside."
My breath hitches, and when he slides away, I find myself wanting more. More of him. I poke my friend, Marielle's, arm.
"I'll be right back." I say.
I sift my way through the crowd, stepping over spilled drinks and confetti. Class of 2022 sure knows how to party, I guess.
I suck in a breath as I lock eyes with ones I know all too well, ones I've found myself getting lost in for a while now. Luc stands on the balcony of the hall that the school rented out. The lights strung around make him glow, from his softly curled hair down to his stupid oversized shoes. He holds a package in his left hand, and on his right, a singular rose.
I walk to him, never breaking eye contact. I look until his face is mere inches away from mine. A space I want to close so badly. Instead, I look at the rectangular brown package in his hand and the rose.
"What's this?"
"Us," he says, barely above a whisper. He silently answers my questions as he hands the gift to me. I pull the wooden string off of it and unwrap the crinkled brown paper. It's a photobook, and on the cover is a photo of us at a drive-in theatre, the first time we were alone together, without the expectations and the rules. Below the picture are words elegantly written in black: 'to the reason i hold on'.
I look up at him to find that he has been staring at me this whole time, a soft expression in his eyes.
"Luc..."
He cuts me off by putting two warm hands on either sides of my face. Before I can say anything, he begins speaking in a tone I've never heard before. It comes from somewhere that doesn't get shined on often. Somewhere deep and dark and... comforting.
"I know we said having relationships in our friend group was a bad idea, but God, I just can't stop. I can't stop adoring you, admiring every single thing that makes up this wonderful human being standing in front of me. I can't stop myself from wanting to hold you, to talk to you, to just indulge myself with every part of you."
My heart beats so loud I wonder how no one else hears it.
"I can't stop wanting this," he continues. "Us. I can't stop believing that we have a shot. You and I, we have a real shot at being happy. At working out. And yes, I know it has its risks but..." he connects his forehead with mine, and his breath skates across it. "You're worth every bit of it. But I know I may not be, so I want you to answer this with complete honesty and faith that-"
"Yes."
He pulls away then, searching my eyes for a hint of a joke or a lie. But I've never been as confident in an answer as I am now.
"Yes?"
    I laugh and nod. "Yes!"
He pulls me into an embrace full of warmth and relief, and chuckles softly in my hair.