mental breakdown

I purse my lips into a thin line as I shove the paper with a big red '39' scribbled on it into my bag. I'll work harder next time, I tell myself. Not enough, not enough, not enough. I force my face into a tight smile as Luc finds me in the hallway and loops his arm around my shoulder.
"Today was sick," he says. "Corey and I both nailed our science tests, but of course I got one percent higher. Basketball tryouts weren't too shabby, but, me being me, I probably got in."
I bite back my urge to cry.
Crying is for the weak. I am made to stand tall, have a clear mind at all times, and to make perfect decisions. It is expected of me, and I have maintained an perfect reputation and record of keeping up to expectations.
    So why am I crumbling now?
"....Princess?" Luc's voice fades back into my ears.
"What?"
"I asked how you were."
"Oh," I nod. "Sorry. I'm great." I smile. "Uh, you're driving me home, right?"
Luc probably noticed the crack in my voice, but dismisses it. "Yeah."

When we enter my room, my heart sinks. Clothes are everywhere, sticky notes plastered all over the wall, dozens of sheets of paper are scattered all over my desk.
"Damn, princess." Luc scans the mess. "I thought you haven't had any tests lately."
Why didnt I put it away? I scream to myself. Stupid.
"....Hey, are you okay?"
Only then do I realize that I'm still staring at my dystopic room, and tears are fighting in my eyes.
I turn away from him and pretend to observe the sticky notes. "Yeah, of course." Luc hasn't seen me cry, and I sure as hell am not planning on letting him any time soon.
I close my eyes, and a singular salty tear drips down my face, and my heart cripples. A gentle hand lands on my shoulder.
"Love. Tell me whats going on." his voice is low.
Before I can stop it, a sob bursts from me. Luc pulls me into a warm hug, one arm across my shoulders and another around my waist. He presses a kiss to the top of my head and we stay there, the only sounds being his slow breathing, his comforting pulse, and my weeps.
"I'm sorry," I whisper. Luc walks me to the bed and sits me down on his lap.
"What in the world could you be sorry for?" He tucks my wet hair behind my ear, searching my eyes.
"I'm not okay," I say between sniffles. "My grades have been falling and I've been... falling. I can't find my footing. Everythings just so... heavy, and I don't know what to do. My mind is constantly swarming and I just want to stop... I'm so tired, Luc."
"Elara." Luc sighs, wiping a tear away with his thumb, holding my soaked face in his hands. "Why were you keeping all this to yourself?"
I squeeze the back of his hand. "You've been so happy, and I love seeing it on you. You've been working so hard and you're finally getting everything you've been wanting. I don't want to take that away."
He presses his forehead to mine. "I have been happy, but I want to be happy with you. I'm happiest when we're both up in the clouds, flying through life, and I'm willing to do anything to help us get there. You are not a burden to me, Elara. You're my blessing, and I'll take care of my blessing with all that I've got. I'm with you to the end, okay?"
I cry more, but now out of gratitude. I look at him then, his eyes. They're so soft, so open, a portal to the soul that lies behind them.
"Okay."