the first "i love you"

"Now this novel was a masterpiece! Perfectly written character arcs, the plot was incredibly intricate and well thought-out." I turn to Luc, and smack him playfully when I see that he's looking at me, not the books, with that soft smile of his. "You're not even paying attention! What?"
    "How are you so damn beautiful when you talk about things you love? Especially books."
    "Hah, so do I look like that when I talk about you?" I joke, flipping through the pages distractedly. Only when Luc's silence settles in do I realize what I've said. I look at him with wide eyes.
    He's staring at me, lips slightly parted.
   "Oh. Luc-"
    "Did you mean that?"
    My mind races as I dart my eyes back at the shelf. This is big. Dammit.
    "Elara," he says, and my gaze snaps back to his dark hazel eyes. "Don't think, just tell me. Do you love me?"
    Questions spin through my head, but no matter how fast my brain goes, I always come back to the same answer.
    "Yes," I say quietly. "And it's okay if you're not there yet, but it's good for you to know what I feel and where I stand and-"
    His soft lips cut me off. They're passionate and slow. Relieved and untamed.
   "I am in love with you," he breathes. "I love you so damn much it almost hurts. I have lost myself in everything that makes you... you. And I'm terrified right now, terrified of the way you make me feel, because you make me feel so much. But I love it, and I love you."
Near tears, I chuckle shakily and pull him in again, planting my mouth on his, both of us smiling against each others' lips. I try to break apart to wipe my now stupidly wet face, but he gently stops my hands with his and sneaks in another small kiss before brushing his nose on mine.
He looks at me then. And by his eyes, I know they see me. He sees all of me. My exterior and my interior. My good and my bad. The darker parts of me that only he has shown light to.
"I love you," I whisper.
He smiles, and wipes away a tear with his thumb. His hand stays there, cupping my cheek. He glances at the books beside us, then pulls me in to hold me. He kisses my hair, and says "we are the greatest love story ever written."