engagement

I stretch as I plop my bag down on the floor. "Luc?" I call into the seemingly vacant house. He's normally home before I am because he gets off work an hour before I do, but on occasion the train is held up.
"Yep!" his voice echoes from upstairs.
"Dude, you wouldn't believe this patient I had today. Did you know that there was such a thing as a professional ice cream taster?? He was blabbering about it throughout the whole session. I wonder how he even injures himself with a job like that..." my sentence drifts off as I see Luc step off onto the floor. He's in a tux, hair gelled back with one dark tuff flopped over his forehead. "What are you-?"
He smiles softly and crosses the room towards me. His breath is uneven and his hands seem shaky. He pulls a small remote from his pocket, clicks the large button, and a slow tune rises from the living room. He leaves the device on the counter and offers me his hand, a slight bow in his posture.
"May I have this dance?" he asks.
Unable to form words, I just place my palm across his, and then he leads me to the source of the melody. I gasp softly as fairy lights strung across the ceiling come into view, giving the room a warm glow. Small red rose petals are sparingly scattered across the floor, only to the effect of minimalism.
I laugh breathlessly as he spins me, and then pulls me close to his body. My left hand automatically goes to his shoulder, and his goes to the curve in my waist. He dips his head into the crevice between my ear and the base of my neck, pressing a light kiss to my tingling skin. We sway and twirl, and I'm too caught up in the moment to ask anything. When the song stops, he soundlessly cocks his head to the TV behind me, and clicks another remote.
His face pops up on the screen, sporting the goofy lopsided grin I've come to love so much.
"Hey, my love," he says through the screen. "You're probably wondering what all this is about, but I just hope it's everything you've been wishing for. I've been looking forward to this day for a while, and I can barely breathe now that it's finally here. You're probably furrowing your brows now, slowly putting the pieces together, but for once I'd like to finish for you. Turn around." The screen goes black. My heart hammering in my chest, I slowly turn.
Luc is on his knee, looking up at me. His eyes are glossy, and he's biting his lip. In his hands is a small box, with the most beautiful ring squeezed between the white cushions.
"Hi, my love." he breathes. Oh my God. "I had a whole speech planned out but all of it is suddenly out the window because I have a crap memory, so what I'm about to say is rawly everything I've been wanting to say all these years." He takes a deep breath. "Meeting you was like hearing a song for the first time, and knowing it would be my favourite. Every time you laugh, my heart dances to the sound. And your eyes... they steal all my words away. I am deeply, irrevocably, painfully, in love with you. You know me and I know you. We know each other down to the very terrible pieces of us. I don't have the best past, and one time you asked me if I had any good memories. But you... you are my good memories. And I am begging the stars to let me make more. I want to spend the rest of my sunsets with you, the rest of my sunrises, and every goddamn thing in between. I vow to give myself to you. All of me, if you'll have me." Tears blur my vision. "And so I ask you this - Elara Mae Dainer, will you make me the happiest man in the world, and marry me?"
I burst out in a sob and nod my head. "Yes."
He does the same, and rises to his feet. He slides the intricately cut diamond onto my finger and kisses me, still in a smile.
"I'll make up all those years I was supposed to be kissing you," he promises.
I laugh. "You better."