let me in

Ugh. I really hate sciences. But I need the courses for med school... People can save themselves. Screw it. I hate school. I hate myself. I hate everyth-
"Well you look like you're having a fine morning," says a timber voice beside me. Luc plops into his seat and peeks over at my open notes. "We're in English class, not Physics."
I inhale deeply before giving him a look. "I know. I'm just... stewing."
"Stewing. It doesn't seem to be doing you much good, judging by those eyebags."
I rest my head on the desk. "They're permanent."
"Pft. Now they are, but they weren't that dark before. I mean, I'm digging the whole messy vibe, but-"
"Shut up." It comes out more harsh than I intended.
He gets quiet. After a moment, he asks, "Hey, are you okay?"
Still taking an abnormal interest in my shoelaces, I nod my head. "Always."
He pauses. "You can talk to me, you know."
The softness in his voice takes me by surprise, and before I have the chance to reply, Ms. Eugenia walks in. I draw myself back up and catch Luc out of the corner of my eye, his eyebrows still furrowed in concern, but I refuse to look at him.

After what might've been the longest hour and a half of my life, the bell finally rings for lunch. Since I normally stay in the classroom for lunch anyway, I whip out my binder again and begin studying.
Equilibriums...vectors... trigonometry-
"That looks digusting."
I slowly turn my head to my left, where Luc is still sprawled on his seat, arm lazily draped behind the chair.
"What are you still doing here?" I ask.
He shrugs nonchalantly. "You're staying, so here I am."
"Yeah, but I always stay. Aren't you gonna go with Grayson and everyone like usual?"
"I would, but..."
"But?" I press.
"But I'm concerned for you."
I scoff. "That's nice. I know what you're gonna say. 'Get a life, Elara! Get that nose out of your books and have sex with everyone you see just like the rest of us!' It's a great speech, really persuasive and motivating, but unfortunately I've heard it before. So, run along."
He raises a brow in amusement. "'Have sex with everyone you see just like the rest of us'? I'm intruiged by who said this to you. My respect goes to them." He stretches his shoulders before propping his arm up on the table and scanning my features. "Anyway," he says.
I give him a suspicious look.
His soft hazel eyes meet mine. "What's going on in that head of yours?"
I ignore the dip of my heart and dramatically gesture to the papers in front of me. "Equilibriums, what else?"
He expression seems to turn a bit sad. "Elara." I freeze at his tone. "It may not seem like I care about a lot of things, but I do care about you. You aren't eating, you aren't sleeping, and your eyes are always glazed over. Tell me, what is going on?"
I refuse to look at him, because I know exactly what I'll see. I shake my head and continue writing on my notes.
He sighs and folds his arms across the desk, laying his head on top of them so he can see me, and I have no choice but to let him.
"Why don't you ever let people in?" he asks, barely above a whisper.
I finally put the pen down and look at him. "That. That's why," I say, tears prickling my eyes. "Because every time I talk about how I feel, people look at me like I'm a wounded animal that they can't save. I'm not broken. I'm... fine." I dig my fingernails into my palm for the gasp of breath I had to take before finishing that sentence.
    He turns his head so that he's facing forward now. "I don't think that you're broken."
    I raise my brow.
    "I think that you're fierce. And brave."
    I let out a harsh laugh. "That's not what you said a minute ago."
    He shakes his head and reaches out, rubbing my pinkie finger. "You are one of the toughest people I know. It's terrifying, really." Our gazes meet. "You are not weak, Elara. You have simply been strong for too long."
    I close my eyes and let my pinkie around his. "Luc," I sigh, but I can't finish the thought. Too many emotions, not enough words. I feel him slip his fingers in between mine.
    "You're going to be okay. Maybe you aren't right now, maybe you won't be tomorrow, but you will be okay." He squeezes my hand gently. "Just keep going until you see it."
I wrench my eyes from our fingers to his eyes. "Why are you being nice to me?"
His shoulders slowly draw in, and he shakes his head. "I don't know." He looks at me then. "You just seem... familiar."
Our eyes connect for a moment too long, and he breaks away with a forced chuckle. "And you looked pretty damn lonely. Your whole vibe was depressing." He untangles his pinkie from mine and quickly ups and shoulders his bag. He takes a step before pausing and looking back down at me.
"I'll see you tomorrow?" he asks.
I nod. "Yeah. See you tomorrow."
He stays there for a second, and starts walking again.
My mouth has a mind of its own. "Luc," I call.
He turns around as if he was waiting for me to say his name.
"Uh, thank you," I blurt. "And... I'd appreciate it if you kept all this under wraps."
He straightens up and smiles. "Kept what under wraps?" he turns on his heel and walks out the door.