when he realizes he loves her

"Ouch!" I yelp as an unusually hard snowball nails me on my back.
    "Hah! Elara 5, Luc 0," she cackles as she loads another ball in her gloved hands. Between the numbing cold and my unbreakable smile, I can't tell what's making my face hurt more. I make the largest snowball I can and launch it at her at full speed.
    My heart drops as it hits her square behind the neck and she falls behind a mound of snow.
    "Elara," I gasp as I leap over to her. I furrow my brow when I see there's no one there. "Elara? ACK what the-"
     "That slid down my back you moron!!" she yells as she tackes me into the soft white ground.
    I laugh, partly in relief. "That snowball was worth at least ten points..." my sentence drifts off as I realize what position we're in. My hands are around her waist, and she's propped up on her elbows on top of me.
    She doesn't seem to notice. "No, that should be counted as a foul. I win by default."
    She's so close to me. "You killed our snowman by throwing his head at me. I think that deserves some deductions."
    Her warm brown eyes flicker to my lips, making me forget I'm in the cold. "You're an idiot." she smiles. My God, her smile. I've noticed that whenever she smiles, her whole face lights up. Somehow I always find myself smiling back. Ah, and her laugh. If I could bottle up her laugh, I would get drunk on it every night.
    "I'm your idiot." I wink.
    She presses a kiss on me. "Yes you are," she says.
    I look at her, taking in all her beauty. Her freckles, her red cheeks and nose, her big doe eyes, constantly full of wonder; her adorable dimples. She's so... perfect, both inside and out. She's smart, incredibly so. She's not afraid of hard work yet she always knows when to put her mental health first. She's compassionate, and when she's around things she loves - books, people, music - she glows. I want her to be like that when she's around me. Because I know I love her.
    I widen my eyes as I realize what my mind had just silently confessed.
    "You doing okay?" she asks, puzzled.
    My eyes snap to hers. In all the times I had dreamed of this moment, I thought that I'd feel terrified, but for some reason, right now, I feel fine. I feel like I'm right.
    "Yeah, of course." I press my bonneted forehead to hers.
    She flashes that smile again and rolls off of me so that we're both looking at the sky. After a moment, she asks, "Where do you think we'll be in ten years?"
    We.
   I frown at her. "That was random."
    She shrugs. "I dunno. I just think it's interesting to think about. Would we be exactly where we want to be? Would we be rich, poor, or maybe still living under our parents' roof?" she laughs.
    Would we be living under ours?  I take her gloved hand in mine. "As long as I'm beside you, I'd be right where I want to be."
    She giggles. "When did you turn into such a romantic?"
    I roll my eyes. "I think your brain is icing over."
    She smacks my chest playfully. "It's probably the doing of your snowball."
    "Maybe it was always part of my master plan to get some warm cuddles later," I wink.
    She gawks and sits up. "Alright, who is this Luc? The one I knew would never admit he wanted cuddles. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, but why all of a sudden?"
Because I realized how damn much I am in love with you, stupid, I want to say. "Just changing things up," I blurt instead. I can tell she's not satisfied, but she drops it because she adores cuddles and doesn't want to risk it. She plops back down in the snow. "Fine."
    I smile. "I'll wear your favourite hoodie of mine."
    Her eyes light up, my heart skips a beat. "The fuzzy maroon one?"
    "With the raccoon on it, yes."
    "It's a red panda."
    I chuckle. "Okay. With the red panda on it, yes. That one. You can slip your hands into the pockets or whatever. We could have hot chocolate and rewatch Home Alone for the eighth time. I'll listen to you fuss over how ugly Kevin got over the years."
    "He did get uglier!" she laughs. She's too damn beautiful. "It sounds perfect, Luc."
    "You're perfect," I blurt out.
    She's throws her head back in a fit of laughter. "I know." With that, she rips the bonnet off my head and speeds off into the house.
    I sigh before hauling myself up to go in after her. If only you knew what you do to me.