meeting the parents

"Well, they're gonna love me," Luc says as we push our way to the school exits. Luc is much taller than me, and though it's annoying most of the time, his build can be useful when bulldozing through a crowd of slow highschool students.
"Dunno," I tsk. "My parents are a little overprotective, especially when it comes to guys. You're even more screwed because you're my first, and they won't know how to act."
"Well with you and your books, you have a pretty high standard, and I like to think I gracefully surpass that standard. No doubt they'll both consider me as their own the second they see me." He winks as he pushes open the door.
I sigh and pull him over to the side. "Luc, this is actually big for me. I know what a great person you are, and I really want them to see it, too. Can you just promise me you'll take this seriously?"
His hazel eyes soften. "Okay. I promise."
I nod. "So, pick your poison. How are you gonna go about this?"
He crosses his arms, pondering. "How about I take you home tomorrow? I'll walk with you, and it'll be a little bonus point when they see you're back in one piece. Of course, there will be little details, but I've got this."
I furrow my brow. "You've got this?"
He rests both hands on either of my shoulders and holds my gaze. "I've got this."

                            *The next day*       

    I almost consider requesting a gurney from the school nurse when I see how pale Luc is. I stifle a laugh instead as I hold his clammy hand.
"You've got this, huh?"
"Don't joke!" he scowls.
We start walking, and I smile as he subconsciously puts himself on the road side of the sidewalk.
"How do I impress them?? What will make me different from your normal friends? I gotta sell it."
"You're not advertising your services as my boyfriend, Luc." I say. He frowns at me.
An idea sparks and I whip out a pen. "Actually, I'll help you out."

He knocks three times on the door. Mom opens it with a warm smile.
"Hello, Luc. I'm Rachel."
Luc sticks out a hand. "Hi, Mrs. D. It's an honor to meet you."
Mom takes his gesture and welcomes him into the house. "Make yourself comfortable."
Luc smiles, and I almost roll my eyes when my mom smiles back. Sometimes he's too charming for his own good. When he slips something from his pocket, my jaw drops.
"Elara has told me how much you love Ferrero chocolates."
Mom looks ready to walk me down the aisle. "Why thank you! You're such a gentleman. Elara really-"
She is cut off by loud footsteps. I can practucally feel all of our hearts drop.
Dad stumbles down the hall. When he sets his eyes on Luc, his back straightens. "Oh. Luc, right?"
"Yes, sir," he says, offering a handshake once again. To everyone's relief, Dad takes it.
"So, tell me about yourself." I resist the urge to elbow my father in the ribs. This isn't a job interview!
I'm surprised once again when Luc answers with ease. "Of course! Well, I grew up just a couple blocks from here. Been there my whole life, just my sister, my mom, and I." Dad nods along. "I'm pretty into snowboarding, though Elara has been pestering me to get skis. I've been fishing for as long as I can remember, and recently I've taken up mountain biking."
My dad's eyes light up. "Really? Well, I've been looking for a new fishing and biking partner for a while..."
Mom and I stand there for 15 minutes as the two unlikely friends go at it. I almost have to rip them apart and shoo Luc out the door.
Before leaving, he turns to my parents. "It was lovely meeting you both. I'd like to introduce you two to my mom sometime. I also want to thank you for raising such a wonderful daughter. She's made my life a lot better. I look forward to meeting again," he squints at the word I scribbled on his left hand. "uh, po."
Everyone bites back a snicker at his absolute bombing of the pronounciation, and nods respectfully at him instead.
I grin as I watch him skip away, his steps as light as a feather.