Snow Globes

Elsa

I can’t sit here while Anna and my children are in trouble. Hans wants what is best for me, I know that. I just don’t think I can afford to do that with myself. I rise.

“Hans, you can help me defeat her, or try and stop me, but I’m not staying here.” I tell him.

“Elsa… please.” He begs.

“Hans, you’re the best fighter I know. If you’re that concerned, I won’t resist that you protect me.” I offer.

“Elsa, you don’t need to go at all!” He retorts.

“I’m sorry Hans, but like I said, you can help me, or be against me.” I mutter.

I don’t take a second thought before I begin to walk out of the sorceress’s castle. I find my horse tied to a tree. I untie the reins, take a deep breath, and mount my horse.

“Come on. We can do this.” I whisper mostly towards myself.

I click the reins and my horse gallops down the mountain towards the castle. I hear hoof beats not long after. I turn my head to find Hans.

“So, you decided to join the party?” I inquire.

“Not the time Elsa.” He sighs.

“I was being serious, Hans.” I tell him, slowing my horse a bit to a canter.

“What? Yes of course I followed you. What kind of husband and king would I be if I didn’t?” He retorts, irritation streaming through his voice.

I bite my bottom lip. I’ve never forgotten what he did to Anna and me. He betrayed us years ago, but it’s always sat in the back of my head, like a trinket in the back of a dusty, locked drawer. I feel like all the memories of his betrayal are coming back. I can feel his stare on me. He can tell I’m having a bad memory.

“Elsa… I’m sorry.” He apologizes.

“No, it’s not you.” I breathe out nervously.

There’s an uncomfortable silence. It lasts until the Arendelle castle comes into view. I click the reins and my horse begins going towards the castle quicker. Hans sighs, rushing Sitron after me.

“Elsa, what’s your plan here?” He asks me.

I don’t respond.

“Please tell me you have a plan.” He groans.

When I stay silent again, I hear him sigh. He steers Sitron in front of my horse, and my horse halts.

“Elsa, you can’t go up against this sorceress without a plan!” He scolds.

“Hans, look, I don’t know what to do! She’s basically an evil version of me! Evil is overpowering good right now, so I was planning on just taking the element of surprise and winging it.” I explain.

“Winging it?” He inquires, and I nod. “Elsa, you never just wing it.” He replies.

I have a plan, I just don’t think he’ll approve. She’s the evil version of me, so I fear to destroy her, is to destroy me. Hans would never let me near her if I told him that.

“Well, fine. You go in first and act like everything’s normal. I’ll sneak around to find Anna and warn her. If I see the sorceress, I’ll distract her long enough for me to escape. There, see? Nothing to worry about.” I tell him.

“Elsa.” He glares.

“Hans, I’m sorry, but I’m not going to let her terrorize my family!” I cry out.