The Three Gifts

I don't turn and look at Elias's body. I turn at my heel and walk away. I retreat into the library and sit down, staring at the bookcase. A few moments later, I hear the door creak open and footsteps pacing towards me. I feel the couch sink as someone sits down. I turn to find Hans.

"Elsa, I'm sorry, but that had to be done." He apologizes softly

"No, you're right. He was too dangerous to keep alive." I admit, knowing that he was right.

"Are you okay?" He asks me.

I nod my head before looking at my wrist.

"What did Henrik do to me?" I wonder to myself, but Hans heard me.

"We'll get whatever it is out of your arm." Hans assured me.

"How?" I sigh.

"You need to have faith." He replies quietly.

"I have faith... it's just not enough." I whisper.

He puts his arm around my shoulders gently, not wanting to hurt me.

"The Duke is right... I'm nothing without my powers." I whimper, looking at my clasped hands.

I can feel Hans stiffen.

"Don't ever say that about yourself again." He scolds, taking my hands in his lovingly.

I look away, embarrassed. He takes away one of his hands and puts it under my chin. He lifts my chin up so I look at him.

"Elsa, you're perfect, powers or no powers. Promise you won't listen to anyone tell you otherwise." He says, looking into my eyes. "Promise me." He repeats.

I bite my bottom lip and nod.

He wraps me into a hug and we sit there for a few minutes. When I pull away, it's because I'm crying. I don't know why I'm crying... Hans looks at me lovingly before wiping away the tear.

"I love you Elsa." He whispers.

"I love you too Hans." I reply.

The next few days pass peacefully. When the messenger requested an audience with me, I knew why.

"Your majesty, your cousin and her husband have arrived." She explains.

"Thank you very much. Send them to the library if you will please." I thank her.

I search for Emma, who is in the ball room, dancing to the music one of the violinists are playing.

"Emma..." I begin, catching her attention.

"Hi Elsa! Look at me!" She giggles.

"Very good Emma, but I'd like you to come with me, I have a surprise for you." I smile.

She stops mid-step, nearly losing her balance. She looks at me hopefully, knowing what it is. She thanks the violinist and scurries to me, following after me like a puppy again. We walk to the library, but I stop her outside of the door.

"Why can't I go in?" She asks impatiently.

"Emma, your mother and father don't know you're here. It's a surprise." I explain to her.

She nods. I slowly open the door to find Rapunzel speaking to Eugene.

"Elsa, is everything alright? We came as soon as we got the letter." She worries.

"Rapunzel, everything is fine." I assure her.

"Then... why did you have us come to Arendelle?" She wonders, confused.