Chapter 1, Esmeralda

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

Oh, God.

I think I might throw up from anxiety and nervousness.

I straighten my hair with a hand and try to swallow the bile in my throat. It's been two years since I have assisted a charity gala. Two years since I have appeared to the public at all.

Which means they expect a big announcement, probably me going back to modeling, and that's exactly what I am going to give them.

Two years ago, I decided to put an end to my modeling career. Nobody knows the reason why. I just moved from the old mansion, where I lived with my parents to my own apartment in New York.

Of course, everyone wondered why the heir of one of the most influential families in the US, would all of a sudden stop doing what she loved most, and live almost anonymously for two years.

Well, let me clear that up real quick.

The handsome guy who's standing a few feet from me, ignoring me as best as he can is the reason why.

My train of thoughts is quickly stopped by my best friend Cleo, who's waving at me from across the room. I walk over to her and hug her tightly.

"I've missed you so much," I say pulling back to look at her. "You look amazing !"

And she did. The blonde haired girl was wearing a long sleeveless red dress, with a slit from her right foot to her thigh which exposed her white porcelaine skin. Her lips were painted red, and that detail complimented her dress color, and made her brown eyes look even more bright than they already were.

One look around, and you could see how every man in the room was eyeing her.

She gave me a big smile and said, taking my hand in hers. "You look beautiful, too. How do you feel ?"

I grimace, then remember we are in a room full of people with their attention on my every move and that the media would be there in a few minutes. So I do what I do best, smile through the pain.

"I feel horrible. Really. I'm so nervous I might pass out right here."

The blonde gives me an understanding look and tightens her grip on my hand.

"It's going to be okay, Esme. You are one of the bravest people I know, and you're amazing. And they love you. You're going to kill it. Even that asshole, Milo will give you heart eyes by the end of the night."

This time I don't hide my wince. Talking about Milo Chase is literally a taboo subject for me. Cleo is the only person who knows the full story. Well, my side of it, at least. What happened that day. The day that broke me so hard that I'm still suffering because of it. Because of the consequences of my actions. Because of me.

"Oh, I'm sure he'd like to see me trip in the stairs and never get up again." I rolled my eyes, trying to look nonchalant but the thundering in my chest didn't falter.