Chapter 29, Esmeralda

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

"I'm sorry Esmeralda, she won't talk to you." Ellis shakes his head grimly. My heart shutters and my face falls. "Take it easy on her, okay ? Baby steps."

Tears are fighting to get out. The guilt I'm feeling right now is insane. My best friend's always been the first person I talk to about everything, my ride or die in everything, you know ? But it took a few fucking months for me to be so focused on my problems, that I totally neglected hers. She needed me, and I wasn't there. Fuck.

It's been almost a month since I found out about her abuse, and I've been trying so hard to speak to her, but she just won't let me. No one, to be honest. Except...well Ellis. Which I still am very shocked about. Cleo did talk to me about their time together, but I kind of believed it would pass, or that it was a simple flirt. Definitely isn't now. Ellis, who's normally so cold and reserved seems to have fallen for my once stubborn-headed best friend.

He even lives at her place now. Crazy, right ? Makes her get out of bed, cooks and cleans for her. Just takes care of her. I know how hard this is for her, and I'm glad she has someone to look after her.

I sniff, and nod weakly. Ellis reaches out and puts a comforting hand on my shoulder.

We're both standing in Cleo's living room. She's hiding in her room.

"How is she ?" I ask quietly.

"I thought she was making progress, but..." Ellis' voice is hoarse, and when his eyes meet mine, I see the pain they hold. "She rarely sleeps. I have to force her to eat, most of the time." He swallow hard, then clenches his jaw. "Sometimes she starts screaming at me to stop being kind to her, that she doesn't deserve it. Her trauma is..."

Oh God.

I feel like someone grabbed my heart and squeezed it hard, "I know." I choke out.

I know parts of her past, that she's never told anyone, and her saying she doesn't deserve him being kind to her, hits me. What she endured in the past is already so much, but what she endured recently might have been her last straw.

I definitely am crying right now.

"Is- Did something happen in her past ?" Ellis asks, desperation clearly marring his features.

I shake my head. "I can't talk about it. It's her truth to tell."

Milo's brother nods in acceptance and understanding.

I clear my voice, then try to lighten the mood by giving him a malicious smile, glancing over at the unmade couch. It's quite early in the morning, so the covers and pillows he used to sleep are still there.

"I never took you for a couch kind of guy."

At last, a glint of amusement lights up his hazel irises.