Chapter 28, Milo

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Ever experience the feeling like you want to explode, but you're holding yourself back because you don't want to scare off your favorite person ?

Well, that was exactly how I felt when I found out that Esmeralda's rapist had called her.

If I could get to him and rip out his throat, I promise that I would have with half a thought.

I still can't wrap myself around the fact that he spent years hurting her, sexually abusing her, and got away with it. What Ellis did to Chad will look like children's play compared to what I'd do to his face.

But it's a good thing that I thought of recording him right before I called back. He said some horrible things that made me both want to crush his bones and cry.

We contacted the Hernandez family's lawyer and he immediately opened a case. The fucker has a wife and a daughter. He was reported multiple times for physically abusing them, but the police didn't do shit. I hate this fucking system.

It's been two weeks since, and things are relatively back to normal, even if Esme's nightmares are back. It breaks my heart to hear her jerk and cry, then wake up screaming. She's told me that she could go back to her parent's house for me to sleep better but there's no freaking way I'll let her go through that alone.

I try to comfort her as well as I can but she usually prefers to have her own space when it happens, so I respect that and wait for her to calm down. She has so much trauma, and I know it's a big challenge to heal, and she was getting there, but with everything that has been going on... She obviously puts on a smiley face, and thinks I'll buy it, but of course I don't.

Thanks to her family's many contacts in court, the trial is only two months away, but that seems too far away, in my opinion.

We tried not to make the story too public, but obviously, someone tipped the media, and they seem to know that we've opened a case. They don't know why, though. I know how much this affects my girl, and even if I don't tell her, she'll find out anyway. I also know she's dreading the day she'll have to testify against him. See him in person. I know how vulnerable she'll feel, and it kills me.

Esmeralda is more and more distant everyday, and she's apologized for it so many times.She comes home from work, eats dinner that I make, work at home, then go to sleep right after. I am aware that it's her coping mechanism, and that she feels guilty about it, so I respect that, even if I don't like her overworking herself.

Right now, we're both laying in bed. Enjoying one of the rarest peaceful moments, these days. Her head is resting on my chest, and I have my arms wrapped around her, as I'm tracing idle circles on her naked forearm. She sighs in contentment, but the sound is more exhausted than satisfied.

"Stop overthinking everything, Esmeralda. I can literally hear the wheels turning in your brain, it's a disturbing sound."

She snorts, "I'm not overthinking anything."

"Oh stop denying it. I know you better than that, baby." I press a soft kiss to her head, then proceed to turn us around, so that I'm spooning her. I throw the covers around our bodies, and I immediately feel warm. I know Esmeralda does too because she relaxes in my arms.

"Alright, I admit it. I'm overthinking." She whispers, in the dark.

I don't say anything, waiting for her to explain, but minutes pass, and I think she fell asleep, when she murmures, "You're the only one who can snap me out of it."

Goddamn if the words didn't shoot straight to my heart.

"I love you. You know that, right ?"

She nods against my chest, and grabs my hand that's resting on her stomach.

"I know. I love you so much more."

Her embrace feels like home. She's my home.

"Hey." My brother greets with a nod, when he arrives at the bar we decided to meet up in. He sits on the high chair next to mine, then proceeds to order a shot of tequila. He's in a weirdly calm mood today, it's been a while since I saw him like that, and that's when I remember today's date.

"Hi." I say right back.

He pushes the tequila shot to me with the back of his hand. He's not drinking, today either.

I take it and drown it down in the matter of a few seconds.

"It's her birthday today, is it ?" I go straight to the point, like we both always do.

Ellis' gaze lights up a bit, and he actually smiles.

"Yeah, it is."

I smile back, then after a few minutes of small talk, ask, "How is Cleo ?"

I immediately regret saying anything at all, because the way his hazel eyes darken and his face falls makes me feel a small pang in my chest.

"Bad. Really bad, Milo. She's a total ghost. Won't eat, won't talk, won't look at me." His voice is strained, and he has a very pained expression on.

"Did she let you in, at least ?" I ask, because I know he's spent days at her doorstep, wanting her to open the door.

"Yeah. It took time but she did." He answers roughly.

I arch a brow, "So, what, are you staying at her house now ?"

He throws me a look that says, 'stop asking me so many embarrassing questions, I'm a tough guy.'

He definitely isn't when it comes to one particular blond girl. I'm glad he's there for Esmeralda's best friend, because she's still very heartbroken over what happened to her, and knowing she's not dealing with it alone will bring her a semblance of peace.

"Yeah." He looks down at the table, a contemplating look on his face. "Yeah, I am."

I put a hand on his shoulder, in a comforting gesture.

"Everything will be alright."

He takes a deep breath, then nods.

"Alright, go back to your woman now, you pussy." He gets up from his seat, and stretches his arms, then pulls me in a side hug.

I chuckle, hugging him back, "Go back to yours." I get up, then add, "Both of them."

--------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE

This chapter is so cute FR

This is a little fluffy filler chapter for 100K views! I feel like I hit 1K a week ago what!? thank you for the support <3

If you liked this chapter, please share, vote and comment.

Love y'all <3