Chapter 30, Milo

CHAPTER THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY

Rita's baby is on the way, and Esmeralda is scared shitless.

Rita's water broke a few hours ago, while we were all having dinner at the Hernandez family mansion.

It's an understatement to say that everyone's been freaking out since. She's only eight months along, so her baby's premature, and that's like the worst thing that could've happened, because her baby girl is the first infant in the family since Esmeralda.

Hunter's also freaking out, and hasn't left his fiancé's side since the labour started. I have mad respect for the guy, because he's been the calmest of the whole family when Rita came back from the kitchen with a tears stricken face. But now, I know his patience has worn off, especially when there are chances she'll have a C-section.

Well that's understandable, Rita's about to bring a freaking baby into the world. That's a big ass deal.

It now is 3 AM, and Esmeralda's refusing to sleep, even if I can feel how tired she is. Her head is resting in the crook of my neck, and her hands are clasped with mine.

I pass my hand through her brown hair, and she sighs of satisfaction.

"Rest for a bit, baby. I'll wake you up if anything changes."

She shakes her head categorical, "No. I'm not going to sleep while my sister is having a risky birth, and won't be asleep when my niece is born."

"I'll wake you up in forty minutes. The doctors said it'll take more time, so forty minutes will not change anything." I offer, gently kissing her forehead. "You need to rest, Esmeralda."

She sighs again, but this time from abandoning her fight, the tiredness taking over. "You wake me up in forty minutes, okay ? No more."

I nod, and she finally lets her head fall against my shoulder again, and closes her eyes.

When she's dozed off, and I am scrolling through my phone, a styrofoam cup enters my line of vision. I look up, only to find Esteban Hernandez, standing beside Esme's mother, Chloe Hernandez. I loosen a gratitude laced breath, and take it from his outstretched hand.

"Thank you, you're a life savior." I immediately drink from the dark, steaming coffee.

He dips his chin in acknowledgment, and his wife leans down to caress Esmeralda's cheek with tenderness. With a love-filled glance towards his daughter, Esteban takes a sit beside me, and takes a sip from his own coffee.

"How is Rita holding up ?" I ask, when Chloe is seated as well. She shakes her head grimly.

"We just came back from the delivery room. She's in a lot of pain, and isn't even close to giving birth. The doctors think it's preferable to avoid a C-section, but it'll be necessary if it lasts longer."