Chapter 25, Esmeralda

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

I am so fucking sick of men taking advantage of women as they seem fit.

I am a victim of sexual assault, and yesterday, I found out my best friend was a victim too.

Cleo got out of the hospital a two days ago, and she won't talk to anyone. Not even Ellis. I knocked at her apartment door multiple times, only to find Ellis laying on the floor next to her door, asleep. She wouldn't answer, even if we all knew that she was in there. I just wish I could find a way to help her.

Ellis informed me that things didn't work out between them the way he wanted them to because he had bailed on her on their first date since he had very important last-minute matters to handle, and didn't contact her before two whole weeks had passed. She had already moved on it seems, if only to spite him, because when he came to her café to apologize, she told him she already had a boyfriend who he had met, and thought he was an asshole for the way he told her - no, ordered her to wear something less showy, in front of him. He said his name was Chad, or something like that. She refused to take any charges, when there is enough proof to lock him in jail for years.

I spent hours calling and leaving voicemails on Cleo's phone, but she just turned off her phone. I can't believe I did not notice how distant she had become. I was so caught up in my problems that I didn't think she could have it way worse than me. I feel so fucking guilty.

I was at Milo's place when Ellis called him, telling him that he found the fucker, and they left two hours ago.

I am kind of starting to worry that one of them landed in jail for murder, or worse, so I call Milo and Ellis for the third time, and none of them picked up.

I canceled everything work related for the following week, because there's just too much going on right now, and work will just make my mental health worse, even if it starts to get better day by day, and at the moment, the only thing I can think about is doing something to make it stop. To make women victim of domestic, or sexual abuse come forward and press charges, and not to repeat the mistakes I made and the ones Cleo's making.

So I get ready, I wear makeup, dress nicely, place a camera in a tripod, and take place in one of Milo's apartments chairs. When I turn on the camera, a wave of nerves wrecks through my whole body, but I ignore it, and take a deep breath.

This is wrong, but feels so fucking right. I know my career will take a big ass hit if I do this, but it is the last thing that matters right now.

I am strong.

I can do this. For Cleo.

I look right in the camera, and start, "Hello everyone. This is Esmeralda Hernandez, and I am going to talk about the multiple sexual assaults I have experienced from age sixteen, to age eighteen." I feel my throat tighten, but once again, think past it as I inhale from my nose. "I was raped by a teacher who used to teach me math when I was homeschool. He used to do it at the end of every session. Now, I did not come on here to drop the bomb, and let it go. I decided to talk about it, because I have kept my mouth shut for almost three fucking years, I was scared of what people would think of me, and that they would think I'm lying. And I know that someone not believing you is the worst thing to ever happen. But I am telling every woman or even man who's experienced this before, talk about it. Tell your story because it is worth telling. Share how strong you are with other people who feel the same way, so that they can find the courage to talk about it too. And if it's happening to you right now, please press charges, leave, just get out of there. Do not make the same mistakes I did. These things leave scars that do not heal." I release another rush of air, then fight the stinging in my eyes.