Chapter 4, Esmeralda

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

I cannot recall a time where I wasn't broken.

I am worthless.

I am worthless.

I am a piece of trash.

These are the only thoughts in my head as I open the bottle of pills.

My hands are shaking.

Just one. I can do it.

I put a pill in my mouth, and I swallow it.

I immediately put the bottle back in my drawer and close it.

I can't walk away.

I need another one. Just another one.

Everything in me screams at me not to, but as always, my demons' voices are louder.

I take a second one. And a third.

I wipe my cheeks, wet with tears.

I am an addict, if that wasn't obvious. Well, only to my anxiety pills. Which I take whenever I have a panic attack. They were pre-scripted to me by my therapist, and at first I only took one whenever it happened, but as soon as my "episodes" started getting more frequent, I started taking more. I know it isn't healthy, and it literally kills me not to know how to stop.

Someone knocks on my door.

Oh no.

I immediately put everything back in my drawer.

"Esme ? Baby, is everything okay ?" My mom's sweet voice sounds from behind the door.

I force myself to answer without letting my voice quiver.

"Fine. I'll be out in a minute."

"Don't be late, honey. You know how mad your dad gets when you're late."

Yes, I do. When I was a girl, he used to give me so many lectures about punctuality that now, I am always early to everything.

When the sound of her footsteps fade, I quickly wipe the remnants of my ruined makeup and when I finally look decent, slip out of my room.

The entirety of my family is in the dining room.

My father called an urgent family meeting because of the shit I pulled at the gala, saying Milo and I would start dating, and that I was a woman of my word. Honestly, I was surprised he didn't throttle me when the night was over, must've taken a helluva self-control.