Chapter 27, Esmeralda

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

I haven't had bad days in a long time. Ever since Milo and I fixed things between us, I've been living in a literal bubble of joy and happiness, as if nothing could ever reach me from here.

But soon enough, reality slapped me across the fucking face. Hard.

I was at home, and my boyfriend and I were watching episodes of Grey's Anatomy when my phone rang. Unknown number.

I put my fork in my noodles box, and placed it on my lap, then casually but cautiously answered, thinking it would be one of those spam calls, or a business one, and that's when I heard his voice.

"Hello, Esmeralda."

I didn't know a voice could make you remember so many things at the same time. The rush of memories was so violent, and nausea hit me so hard, that I had to gasp for air. I never thought I would hear that voice again, I really believed I was free, that the man who raped me couldn't get to me anymore. That was so goddamn naive of me. I am so stunned, and frozen by shock, that I don't even react for a long minute, until he speaks again.

"Missed me, kitten ?"

Kitten. My vision is so blurry that I have to blink multiple times, and hold on to Milo to keep from falling over. He is shaking my arms gently, a confused and scarred expressing marring his features. He might have said something that I don't hear because of how loud my ears are ringing.

My hands are shaking so bad, the phone slips from my hands and falls on the floor. Milo bends down and picks it up, then looks at the caller ID. The person had seemingly hung up, but I couldn't even care less, not when all I can think about is his voice, and the memories, and the first time he raped me, and me trying to kill myself and suddenly I can't breathe.

I need air.

My head is so heavy and I need air.

My throat is so tight I feel like it's bleeding.

I need air.

Warm hands are on my face, but I squeezed my eyes shut to hold the thoughts back. I feel fingers wipe my tears and swipe the thumbs on my cheeks.

"Open your eyes for me, baby." I hear Milo say, even if it sounds like I'm underwater, and somehow, hearing him talk feels so much better than the constant echoing of the other sound that's on repeat in my mind. I crack my eyes open, then blink a few times to clear my vision.

The first things I see are his gorgeous green eyes, looking down at me with unfiltered pain and worry. My breathing is growing heavier and heavier, and my forehead is sweaty. I look at my surroundings, in order to try to focus on anything else but it's no use.

"Look at me."

I meet Milo's irises again, "You're having a panic attack, love. I need you to focus on me, okay ?"