Chapter 31, Esmeralda

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Today is the day I'm going to face my rapist in court and testify against him. My hands hurt from how much they're shaking.

I take a deep breath.

I can do this.

I can do this.

I can't do this.

Oh fuck, I definitely can't do this.

I have already prepared what I will say, my lawyer and I went through so many points, and it's all clear in my head, but just seeing him. Facing him in real life is the hardest thing I'll ever do, I'm sure.

I haven't slept tonight, neither did Milo, actually. He held me for hours, while I cried of anxiousness and apprehension. He took care of me, reminded me how much he loved me, and that no matter the jury's decision, he'll stand be me. Always. I'm so grateful to have him by my side right now.

It's insane how scared I am. Not only of him, but of the judge's verdict as well. What if they don't believe me ? What if he doesn't go to jail ? Will all of this be for nothing ?

I am snapped out of it when I feel strong arms around me. I immediately relax, and lean into Milo. I inhale his strong, purely masculine scent. He kisses my temple, before whispering in my ear, "Five minutes, baby."

My heartbeat accelerates and picks up in an abnormal rhythm. Oh God. It really isn't the best time to have a panic attack. Holy shit.

My vision starts to blur, and I blink multiple times, breathless. I catch sight of a blonde head, and my jaw hits the floor. Cleo is there.

She looks very out of place, her arms wrapped around herself, but she has Ellis' hand on her lower back, and seems more sure of herself thanks to that. She's wearing a cashmere sweater and basic jeans, but she definitely looks different. Her hair is bond in a loose braid that falls on her shoulder. Her brown eyes meet mine, and she strides towards me, probably feeling and seeing my distress.

The breath is knocked out of me when she kneels in front of where I am seated, and cups my face with her hands. Her brown eyes are shining with worry, and strange determination.

"Listen to me." I definitely am. What the hell is happening right now ? "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when you needed me the most, but it's not the right moment to talk about that. You are going to go in there, and show that son of bitch that you're not vulnerable anymore. You show him how strong of a woman you've become. You show him that women aren't his toys, and that he's going to pay for everything, okay ?" I swallow hard, nodding slowly. Her voice is unfaltering, as she continues, "You're not going to be scared. You're going to face him, and smile at him to show him just how not broken you are. Show him that the scars he left only made you fiercer. Kick his ass, sweetie." Tears are falling on both our cheeks now. God, I can't even start to process what's happening, but what I know is that this kind of speech is the thing I needed.