Chapter 14, Esmeralda

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Saying that I'm exhausted would be a fucking understatement.

I feel like someone ran me over with their car, but I still leave my bed because I have a brunch date with my sister. We used to have brunch dates all the time, but since I left for New York, that habit stopped all together. I was so looking forward to have a moment with Rita, but she was so busy, that I couldn't even find the right time to call her.

I came back from the hospital yesterday morning, and I feel a bit better physically.

Emotionally...It's, well complicated.

Still no contact with Milo whatsoever, and I don't know how I feel about it.

I kicked him out of my room that night, and I absolutely do not regret it. He plays with my feelings all the time, and I don't think I can keep up with him much longer.

He thinks it's a game, and I am ready to let him win it if that's what it'll take for him to be more serious about this. Us.

I get ready in unusual cheerfulness. I don't know why but I have a feeling that today's going to be good.

As soon as I finish dressing up, I go downstairs and find my parents having breakfast in the vast garden.

I kiss my Mom's cheek and greet my Dad good morning.

"How are you doing, honey ?" My father asks me, with a small smile on his face.

They were so worried for me when they came to visit at the hospital, and it broke my heart seeing tears on my father's face. Right now, I feel good. Exhausted, but good.

"Good." I only answer, giving them a genuine smile back.

"Aren't you going to have breakfast with us ?" My Mom asks when I don't sit down.

"Nope, I'm having brunch with Rita today."

My parents exchange a look.

Oh ?

"Oh. That's amazing." My father wipes his face with a tissue, looking as suspicious as one could be.

They are not telling me something.

"What's going on ?" I ask, confused.

Ah, confusion. It seems to be the only emotion I repeatedly feel every damn day.

"Nothing." My Mom says too quickly.

"You guys are hiding something from me, and I want to know what it is." I stand my ground.

"You're going to be late, Esmeralda. You should get going. Remember what I always used to tell you about punctuality ?"

I sigh. These two are as stubborn as one could get. No wonder where I got that from.