Sixteen: December

The stroll to the shopping streets was pleasant. It was cold. But Harry enjoyed it. And not only because Louis' shoulder kept brushing against his own.

He had forgotten to bring his gloves back at the apartment due to Louis' constant rushing and hurrying him, so Louis was determined to let him use his own pair.

Harry just hoped his lazy curls were floppy enough to hide the subtle crimson creeping up on his cheeks when it happened. Louis' gestures tended to make him flustered a lot. It was hard to refuse, though, because Harry wasn't even capable of bending his fingers at that point, and Louis' gloves felt soft and warm around his hands. Although he did feel bad for Louis and his own now freezing fingers.

They reached the store in the span of ten minutes. Rays of light managed to break through the thick veil of snow sticking to the window.

There were abundances of beautiful suits and tuxedos hanging off the racks. Harry had a hard time picking just one out. He kind of stressed himself in trying to be quicker, he didn't want to steal anymore of Louis' time.

The only requirement for the outfit on Friday was that it had to be "Christmasy", so really anything would do.

Harry really liked the color of the vibrant red one he was holding in his hand.

"I can't believe you're willing to spend your own money on this suit for me," Harry breathed as he held the rich red velvet suit up in front of his torso before the mirror of the expensive store.

"Seriously, Harry. I insist," Louis said for the fifth time that day, not looking up from his phone. He was sitting in one of the stools, just letting Harry pick out a fit himself. His only concern in the matter was that it had to be from this exact store.

"Cheryl killing you would equal Cheryl killing me. And I know we both have first hand experience on how that feels."

Harry laughed, cringing at the flashbacks from his first audition on the show. And at the times he'd watched Cheryl curse at Louis on national television.

"That was, well," Cheryl said, when she finally calmed down. "Torture. That was torture for my ears. Really, it was painfu-" Louis clasped a hand over Cheryl's mouth to keep her from talking.

"Um, I was just nervous, I... normally I sound bett-" Harry was cut off by Cheryl.

"You sounded like a dying cat," she laughed again.

It was very likely that the vivid memory he had of that audition was burned into his mind forever.

It was Friday night and Harry was sitting with Gemma and his mum, watching the X-Factor as usual. A seventeen year old girl was standing on the stage. Harry personally wasn't enjoying the act. He found her voice a bit too shriek. She had just performed the first part of her song when Louis interrupted her by lifting a hand in the air.

Her mouth snapped shut in suspense, waiting patiently for his words.

"I can't listen to this," Louis said simply.

The girl said nothing, but Cheryl gaped at him as if she was offended.

"Can you start over with a better song? And- and less... shrieky?" Louis asked gently.

"Sure."

Cheryl whipped her head to the side to glare at Louis who slowly turned to face her nervously. Harry gasped in shock when she threw her drink at him, soaking him.

"I think you're right," Harry said, sauntering back to where Louis was seated.

Louis looked up at him with a grin playing on his lips. "Yeah?"