Thirty: May

"I like your room. It's cute," Louis remarked, his eyes finally giving the room a once over.

Harry thanked him. "You should've seen it just a few months ago, though. This place was a landfill."

"Really?" Louis' eyebrows flashed in surprise as if he hadn't expected that piece of information.

"Really. A hole. And I'm not even being dramatic, that's the worst part."

Harry scrolled through his camera roll from last winter and found a low quality picture of his room that was taken as a snap to Niall. He showed it to Louis who was taken aback. Then his face contorted into something that looked like guilt as he looked at the date.

"December thirtieth," he frowned. "That was right after..."

Harry quickly stuffed his phone back down his pocket before Louis could finish the sentence. "Right after I lost the contest. Yeah, I know," he mumbled.

Louis' eyes looked pained, but he knew better than to go down that road. He noticed the dejected look on Harry's face and grazed his thumb over his own chin. "Hey, do you want to go do something else?"

Harry looked up to him. "Like what?" he said quietly.

"Like... something outside?" Louis suggested.

"Sure. What should we do?"

•••

"This is actually breathtaking," Harry said under his breath as he stared at the ceiling. "I can't believe you own this!"

The mellow colours of the cosy studio engulfed Harry in a warm hug. The studio was furnished with soft furniture and brownish red rugs covering the redwood floor, giving it a homely look. Mild lamp bulbs hung from the ceiling and fairy lights covered the wooden walls.

And in the middle of everything, instruments of all kind.

"This is where me and the team work and record all the music. Told you it was comfortable," Louis smiled at him.

"Comfortable? I never want to leave!" Harry let himself sink down into one of the divans, sighing in contentment.

Louis chuckled lightly. "Stay as long as you want. Whenever you want a break from the world, just go here. I'll make you a copy of the key."

Harry's eyebrows creased, "don't joke about stuff like this."

"I'm not," Louis said simply. "I'll get it done, like, tomorrow."

"I'm starting to believe you're not kidding," Harry slowly stood up and walked over to Louis.

This place was the most peaceful space he'd ever been in. Surrounded by pure forest, away from the busy life of London - it would be perfect as a comfort place he could just go to and be himself and alone.

"I promise I'm not kidding, Harry," Louis said genuinely and Harry flung his arms around his neck.

"Thank you so much. You're so nice to me," he said into Louis' collarbone. Louis wrapped his arms around Harry. "It's the least I can do after, you know."

Harry pulled away from the hug to look at him. "Please don't feel guilty about eliminating me from the show. It wasn't your fault, not what happened after."

Louis frowned, "but what happened after?" he gently pressed at the subject and Harry sighed, eyes finding the floor that he suddenly seemed to find so interesting.

"It was stupid. I was like, depressed for months after what happened in New York."

"Because I eliminated you?"

"Yes. And also because I was so embarrassed. I wanted to hide from the world, I guess."

"You were embarrassed because... because of what you told me while you were in that drunken state? Did you mean that, by the way?"

Harry groaned at the memory, "yes."

"Oh."

Oh? That's his reaction? That's all he has to say?

"Yes, that's why I was embarrassed. But no, I didn't mean it," Harry corrected himself pathetically, knowing he was a terrible liar.

"Oh."

What the hell does that mean? Oh could mean so many things, but right now Harry could only think of negative meanings that could lie behind that short word.

Was it even a word?

Louis was so hard to read. If there existed a Louis Tomlinson dictionary, Harry would've bought it in a heartbeat.

He sometimes wished there was some kind of background music in his life. Like there is in all movies. Just so that he could get a clue as to what the fuck was going on about half the time. Especially in his love life, which was practically non existent at this point. He'd only had one girlfriend when he was like thirteen.

And she was a lesbian. And then later he found out he was gay, so that worked out super well.

"Well, the team will be here in about twenty minutes. I'll drive you home," Louis said.

Harry pursed his lips together. "When will I see you again?" he asked.

Louis pondered over the question for a short moment before answering. "Meet me at Thorpe Park tomorrow."

"You're a famous pop slash rock star."

"What's life without a bit of adventure?" Louis winked.

Harry gave him a flat look. "I think the X Factor experience was enough adventure for me."

Louis chuckled. "Alright, alright. I'll put on a disguise. Look for the guy with the dark sunglasses and pink punk hair."

Harry laughed, "okay then."

They walked out and approached Louis' private car that was camouflaged by the bushes and the tall grass.

They got inside of it and Louis stepped down on the speeder and smoothly drove them back to Harry's place. They said their goodbyes, and Harry watched Louis drive away from his porch. He went into his house, just in time for a delicious smelling dinner with his family.

They were both dying to know about the details of today, so he spilled most of them. Except for the intimate moments, he'd like to keep those to himself.

And Niall.

And maybe Lucas.

That night he fell asleep with a full stomach and a halfhearted smile on his face.

Two minutes after he drifted off to sleep, though, his eyes opened in realisation. He forgot to ask Louis for his number, and he also forgot to ask him what time they were supposed to meet tomorrow.

Dammit.