Twenty Seven: April

Harry felt himself relax at the reassuring expression on Louis' face.

"Let's go then," he said, quickly going over possible eating places in his head. They walked off the beach and back onto the pavement, the sand still itching on Harry's skin.

"Is a Hot Dog good enough for you? I'm sorry, I'm just kind of broke at the moment," Harry said quietly, glancing up at Louis.

"Hot Dog's perfect," Louis nodded. He stuffed his hands down his dark denim pockets. They each got a Hot Dog and Louis even let Harry pay after a lot of convincing and, okay begging. Harry just felt guilty about all the money Louis had spent on him.

They walked over to sit on the border of the harbour, feet dangling off the edge. It smelled a lot like fresh fish and rotten seaweed.

As they ate their respective Hot Dogs, Harry was one nervous mess. His appetite had vanished and was replaced by nerves eating him alive, so he had to force down the food in attempt to at least look casual on the outside.

"You don't have to be so nervous around me. I don't bite, you know," Louis said.

He bit down on his hot dog. "Only a little."

Harry looked at him, embarrassed that he had been this obvious. "I'm not nervous," he mumbled. "I just think it's a little awkward." Fuck, Harry, why'd you say that, that's even worse than acting nervous.

Learn how to think before opening that big mouth of yours.

"Not in a bad way awkward! In a good way! The best way possible."

Louis sent him a strange look and he looked like he was doing his best not to burst out laughing. "It's okay, love. I can't blame you."

"Really?"

"Sure. Before you seeked me out, which was just a little stalkerish I'll have you know-"

"I was returning your suit!"

"Yeah, whatever, -we hadn't seen each other for a good four months. And me kicking you out of the program? I would feel awkward as fuck if I were you," Louis shrugged.

Harry raised an eyebrow at him. "Rude of you to say. But true," he said and took a bite of his hot dog. Louis' laughter filled the air around them and then they just sat in a comfortable silence. Harry stuffed the last bit of his hot dog into his mouth and swallowed.

It felt slightly weird to talk to Louis outside of the X Factor. It was like a whole other dimension, Harry felt like they had to rebuild that bond they had before (which was practically non existent) but not to Harry. His favourite thing about boot camp? Wasn't the singing. It was the little conversations he'd occasionally shared with Louis, those never failed to tingle his insides.

Fuck it he thought. He had to know.

"Are you and Mark dating?"

"What?" Louis tilted his head at him, frowning.

"I know it's not my business, and you don't have to tell me if you don't feel comfortable-"

Louis cut him off with a confused chuckle, "Mark, the contestant? No, I'm not dating him. What makes you think that?"

He said it as if Harry was a lunatic for even thinking it as a possibility. He blushed and looked down at the dark water being swirled around by the breeze. He didn't know if he should be joyful for embarrassed.

"Well, someone told me they saw you two on a date in some fancy restaurant, I don't know, though," he lied with a nervous smile because there was no way he would ever tell Louis about how he and Niall had literally stalked his whereabouts after the boot camp.