|Chapter 8|

Chapter 8; scary encounters and great news

"Hunter, you're drunk," were the first words that had left my brother's mouth as soon as I stepped inside the house, in the process almost knocking over the vase on the small table that was standing in the hallway. I nodded and smiled sheepishly before taking off my shoes and throwing them into the corner of the room.

"Why aren't you sleeping yet?" I yawned, stretching my arms over my head as I looked at Lucas, who had his hands in his hair.

"I can't," He mumbled, turning his attention back to the television. "I fell asleep shortly after you left and woke up about an hour ago. I'm not tired anymore," he shrugged.

"You should at least get upstairs and try," I slurred, placing my hands on the table to steady myself. I couldn't remember the last time I was this drunk, but I had needed alcohol tonight. Too much happened in a short amount of time for me not to drink something.

"You too, now get upstairs. I will be up soon," Lucas replied, not really paying attention to me. His eyes were fixated on the screen.

"Fine," I gave in, stomping up the stairs, but not before I slipped into Lucas' office and put the file back into its place. I hope he didn't notice it was gone, but he promised he would take the day off and wouldn't go into the office. And if he had noticed, he would have asked already.

Sighing, I walked to my bedroom, locking it once I was in. I stepped out of my clothes and threw on a comfy pair of pyjamas, then fell into bed. Sleep took over me easily that night.

-

There are many bad things in the world, but waking up with a hell of a hangover must be the worst of them. The first sounds to leave my mouth were groans and whimpers of pain. My head was killing me and I immediately started regretting drinking anything last night.

I quickly walked into the bathroom, opened the drawer and took the magic pills out. I just hoped they would to their magic soon and help me get rid of this headache, or else I don't know what to do.

"Morning, sunshine. Looking amazing this morning," Sara laughed when I walked into the kitchen. I knew she didn't mean it, my hair was tousled, my make-up smeared all over my face and I looked like I had just risen from the death.

"Sarcasm doesn't suit you, Sara," I bit back, rolling my eyes.

"Someone's grumpy this morning," She mumbled, bringing her attention back to the eggs she was making.

"Lucas told me you were pretty drunk last night. Did you at least have fun?" She smiled, stirring the eggs.

"If you only knew," I mumbled under my breath.

"Sorry, what was that?"

"Yeah, I had fun," I said, this time a little louder. I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat down on the table. Sara followed my actions, sitting down across from me.

It was flat out a lie. I wish I had fun, but I didn't. But I couldn't tell her the truth. Her being the loyal girlfriend she was, she would just tell Lucas and I would have myself in a whole other situation.

"Where's Lucas? Is he still sleeping?" I ask, taking a sip of my coffee and burning my tongue in the process. It was way too hot.

What a great start to this day.

"No, he's at a meeting. He won't be here until tomorrow night. Didn't you read the note he left you?" Sara explained and I shook my head. I must have overlooked it when I woke up.