5. Jo Bheji thi dua (the unanswered prayer)

This is the turning point of the story, so attention everyone!

--*--

Next day morning Khushi woke up with a slight headache. Reasonably so, after all the events of the previous night, it would have been too difficult to get a peaceful sleep. Mr. Raizada had backed away after that brief yet sensual kiss. And then didn't turn on his heel until he crossed the hall and retired to his room. Khushi rarely saw a glimpse of him throughout that party. She had heard a sulking Lavanya and sad nani and Anajli trying to get him downstairs, but he didn't budge.

Shyam had to leave over night for some urgent work in Mumbai, so he was not around either. Although he had messaged her saying their work was done.  They would probably take a look at photos and then send them to Mr. Mittal in a day or two. 

So after making an excuse, Khushi came home and retired to her room without answering buaji's or her jiji's questions on why she came back so early.

And now after a restless and mostly sleepless night, she was lying in her bed, thinking about what will happen after the photographs reached Mr. Mittal and would this finally close a tiring yet important chapter in her life. She so desperately wanted to go back to her life in Lucknow and focus on her dream of studying hotel management or culinary courses to gain a degree in it.

--*--

Khushi had just come out of the bathroom after a much-needed shower, when she heard voices from outside, from the hall. Her instinct took her to the window of her room, and she spotted now-much-familiar white SUV. HE was here! But why?

She soon got her answer as buaji knocked on her room's door and when she opened it, buaji hurriedly pushed her in and locked the door behind them.

"Ae titaliya, jaldi se acchi saree pehen ke bahar aao"

"Huh? Kyun bua ji? And who's there?" of course she knew exactly who was there but she still asked

"Raizada family ayi hain, now stop asking questions and come outside in five minutes" saying so, without giving Khushi any chance to protest, buaji left.

--*--

Contemplating whether to go outside or not and what to say when faced with HIM, Khushi finally stepped out her room. Scanning the living room quickly, she saw Naniji, Anjali and Mr. Raizada sitting on their modest sofa. Still wondering why they were here, that too early morning, she had almost made to sit on a nearby chair when buaji's voice stopped her,

"Lo aa gayi hamari Khusi. Arnav babua, you wanted to speak with her right? Why don't you two talk here while I, Payaliya and your nani ji and Anjali ji go visit our neighbor? We'll be back in 15 minutes. Your nani ji wanted to learn mango pickle recipe that our neighbor Vimala makes."

Making a weird excuse they all left a very uncomfortable and confused Khushi with Arnav behind.

She was still trying to wrap her head around and thinking whether all this was one of her weird dreams when she heard his voice.

"Will you marry me?" 

Khushi thought she heard something wrong. After all, they did not see this coming.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me Khushi, kya tum mujhse shaadi karogi?" he asked again.

Khushi stood up on instance

"Kya mazaak hain ye Mr Raizada? Why would I marry you and why are you even asking this question?"

"Khushi, you and I both know what's happening between us, so let's stop pretending, ok? If you want me to spell it out, ok, hear me out, I am attracted to you. A lot than I would like to admit. I thought it was a passing thought and I would get over it, but last night proved that I can not and do not want to get over this feeling that I have for you. I am not good with words Khushi but please believe me when I say this that I want you by my side. And I know you value traditions and so does your family, so I convinced di and nani to come here and propose our alliance. After last evening, I believe you also feel the same for me"

Khushi stood dumbstruck. In the same awe, she sat or rather slumped on the chair. And the first thing that came to her mind was, Lavanya

"What about Lavanya ji?"

Arnav audibly sighed before replying to her, "Lavanya is a very understanding and mature girl Khushi. And I spoke with her before coming here, she understands. It was not like we were in love or something. We were just together for convenience"

"And what makes you believe that what we have won't be for convenience?"

"The fact that I was with her for over a year and never as such uttered L word, forget any serious commitment but with you, in just a couple months, I am sure I want you in my life as my life partner. That's why!"

--*--

Khushi was still sitting in the same position long after the Raizadas left. Apparently, they had already convinced bua ji and Payal about how serious and happy they were for this alliance. Sure, they had started liking Lavanya for Arnav, but they could see him hesitating to marry her while for Khushi, he literally ordered them to come to her house and ask her hand in marriage. Garima and Shashi were also informed and summoned in Delhi the next day.

In all this, Khushi felt like life was being sucked out of her. This was not supposed to happen. This was not how it was supposed to happen. What will she do now? Shyam ji had already told her they had captured enough photos last night and soon they would be sent to Mr. Mittal. Him being a very ethical man, he would immediately back out of the huge investment he was making for ASR's most ambitious project, 'Panache'. She had tried to call Shyam ji but his phone was unreachable. What should she do?

--*--

"ASR, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes Aman. Also make sure, Mr. Mittal is subtly informed about my marriage talks with Khushi. I don't want to take any risk. Got it?"

If people thought Arnav was a shrewd businessman, they knew nothing. He was a sharp mind as well as had a very strong presence of mind. Last night, when he kissed Khushi, he felt the camera flash and knew that they were caught in compromising position. The only thing he didn't know was who was behind this and why? His first instinct was somehow some media portal managed to come to his house and clicked them

But then he started thinking about repercussions. What if those photos went public? What would happen to his image? And most importantly how would that affect his impression on Mr. Mittal? He couldn't take any risk.

Also, a tiny part in him wanted to protect Khushi's reputation too. He had once played with it consciously, he wasn't going to repeat it ever, whether it was him doing it or someone else. He would not let her image get tarnished again! Besides, it was high time he acknowledged there was something very serious going on between them, which he had never felt for Lavanya or anyone else before.

--*--

Payal and bua ji had left no stone unturned to convince Khushi that it was a very good proposal to let go, payal had even told her that it was totally ok if she married before her and Devi maiyya would find a nice groom for her too. But Khushi didn't utter a word. She kept her replies in 'hmm's and ok's. thinking it would probably be her amma and babu ji to convince this sankadevi, bua ji and payal had retired to bed.

Khushi however kept thinking how this happened? How her perfect revenge plan got messed up so much? And why-oh-why she let him kiss her? If not for that stupid scandalous kiss, none of this would have happened. She felt helpless and trapped. There was probably just one way out now. Quickly opening her phone's internet browser new window, she started typing, 'where to buy a rat poison'.

--*--

A/N – shocked? Well, don't worry, I can assure you no one's gonna die! From next chapter, story would become more intense if I may. Also, I apologize if you feel there are some lose ends, I try to close them as much as possible without hampering the suspense. But they are probably still there.

Anyway, thanks for your reviews and votes, keep them coming 😊