Choices

Steve's POV the next day

God, everything about the Lagos mission had gone to hell once they'd finally caught up to Rumlow. The only good things to come out of the whole situation was that they had gotten the biological weapon back and Rumlow was dead. Everything else had gone to shit. Poor Wanda was a wreck. As soon as they got back she'd locked herself in her room refusing to leave. Sitting at his desk Steve watches the news report on what happened three days ago.

'The usually reclusive wakandian nation was out on an outreach mission where several were killed...' The female reporter informed the watchers before going to a clip of a press conference given by the king of Wakanda.

'Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all.'

Steve turned off the monitor not wanting to hear anymore, but from another room he heard a different news reporter commenting on what happened with Wanda. Making his way towards where he hears it coming from he sees her sitting on her bed watching the news. Turning off the TV from where he stands by the door, Steve leans against the doorway after setting the remote on the small table.

"It's my fault." Wanda says, brushing down the dark green dress she was wearing as she adjusted her position on her bed so that she didn't flash him.

"That's not true." He tells her, crossing his arms across his chest. He tells her this because he believes it. If it wasn't for Rumlow and what he had said to distract him during their fight none of this would have happened.

"Turn the TV back on. They were being very specific." She tells him nodding her head at the TV. Straightening up Steve begins to walk over to her.

"I should have clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky' and all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again in Brooklyn," He sat down next on the bed glancing over at her before looking down at the floor. "And people died. It's on me."

Wanda looks over at him, sadness filling her eyes for the loss of the lives they couldn't save. "It's on both of us." There was no point in trying to comfort the other when they both felt the guilt at the loss of all of those in Lagos, but still he tried.

"This job.." Steve pauses as he thinks about how he could explain this to the young woman. He starts again. "We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody, but if we can't find a way to live with that the next time, maybe nobody gets saved." As Wanda was thinking about what he said, Vision phases through the wall startling them both.

The young woman looks incredulously at him and says exasperatedly, "Vis! We talked about this."

The android looked at her perplexed. "Yes, but the door was open so I assumed.." He says, gesturing towards the open door across the room but stops when he sees her face is less than pleased. Turning to Steve he informs him. "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving."

Steve nods. He was glad to be able to talk to Tony and thanked the Android. He was amused by his and Wanda's relationship. He could see that they both cared for the other, but Wanda didn't seem to be ready for a relationship and Vision was clueless in the ways of women more so than even Steve. "Thank you. I'll be right down."

Vision points over at the door and stutters out, "I-I'll use the door." He's almost out of the room when he stops to tell them. "Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?" Steve asks him, curious as to who Tony deemed worthy enough to assemble everyone.

Vision tilts his head to the side. "The Secretary of State." He informs them with a tone that implies neither one of them will be happy with what he has to say. Wanda and Steve share a look before getting up and following the android out to the dining room.