Complications

Ronnie's POV

Tony looked out into the room filled with reporters before glancing back at her. "Are you sure you wanna do this today, Mini?" Nodding, she double checked her appearance to make sure she looked alright. She didn't want to look like a mess in front of the local, national and international press.

"Better to get it done now while Ross and the others away so I don't get arrested for punching him in his stupid face." Bucky chuckled, he was amused by her feistiness. Glancing up at him she asked, "Are you ready for this Buck?"

She knew he was nervous to do this without Steve by his side. They both knew he wanted to be here for his best friend, but what he was doing was just as important. He had Peggy's funeral to attend and they knew how much she had meant to him so he had told Steve to go, that he would be alright with just Ronnie and Tony.

He gave her a tight smile as he tucked his hair behind his ears. "I've faced down worse than a bunch of cameras and people yelling questions at me, doll."

Giving him a brief kiss on the cheek as she adjusted his tie she tells him, "Tony and I'll be right there with you. At any time you start to feel overwhelmed, we can go and he'll finish for us." Her brother nods his head at him in confirmation and tells them it's time.

As she went to follow Tony, Bucky grabbed her hand. She noticed all of his nervous tics. Licking his lips, his eyes widening as his breathing came out faster. Before he could have a panic attack Ronnie pulled her hand from his and cupped his face. Tracing her thumbs over his cheekbones she softly tells him, "Look at me, James." Once his wild steel blue eyes were on hers she gave him a warm smile. "You're safe. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere."

Tony called for her at the doorway. "Mini, we gotta start." Glancing over her shoulder she nodded to let him know they'd be right there. Turning back to Bucky she smiles up at him.

"We're doing this together. Let's go get your freedom." Leaning his forehead against hers he closes his eyes and lets out his breath. "Remember to stand between me and Tony and let us do all of the talking." Kissing her forehead in silent thanks, Bucky straightened up and centered himself. Alright, now that she had given him a pep talk she had to mentally give herself one.

Steve was supposed to be here for this, but after everything between them and Peggy's funeral happening she had to do this on her own. Well, she wasn't alone. Her brother was here to support not only her, but Bucky as well. Over the last couple of days Buck and him had talked and gotten to know each other better. He had seen, just like she had, that Bucky was a good person at heart and was slowly starting to forgive him. This whole thing was something that helped to bring the Stark siblings even closer together and was making it easier on them both to let go of the past.

Standing at the podium she gave the room her beaming public smile. "Hello everyone. My brother and I would like to start by thanking you for coming here today. I'm going to make a statement and then Tony and I will answer any questions, so hold it in until the end." She sternly tells the room with a hint of humor making them all laugh. Ronnie knew they wouldn't be able to help themselves once she told them why they'd called the press conference, but she hoped that most of them would at least listen. Taking a deep breath she quietly let it out and began.

"First, I want to say that Captain Rogers wanted to be here, but he is currently in England for the funeral of his friend and former colleague Agent Margaret Carter." It had originally been announced that he would be with them, but the bad news he'd gotten the day Ross had shown up had been that she had passed away. Straightening out her shoulders she briefly glanced down at her notes.

"Now to the reason we're all here. Tony and I want to introduce you all to someone who has become very close to us recently." Placing her hand on his arm to bring him closer she smiles up at him as Tony placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. She noticed his steel blue eyes kept flicking from her, to the crowd of reporters and then over to the exits as if he was getting ready to run. Pulling Bucky closer, Ronnie linked her fingers together with his right hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.