Conversations in the dark

Bucky's POV 1:30 AM

Hunched over his second cup of strong black coffee Bucky rubs a hand over his tired face. He hadn't gotten much sleep at all. While this wasn't outside of the norm for him being cut off from Ronnie was. In the short amount of time he'd spent with her they'd never been at odds with one another, not even after he'd told her and Tony what he'd done. After her shouting match with Steve yesterday afternoon she'd stayed away from the house for hours by herself. 

When she finally did come inside she'd been silent and withdrawn. Only participating in the conversation if it had to do with the bombing or to talk to Thor or Sam. By dinner time she was still quiet. They'd all watched as she picked at her food, not eating more than a few bites before quietly excusing herself to go to bed early. Buck had gone upstairs and tried to get her to talk to him or at the very least be with her so she wouldn't be alone, but she refused to open her door and kept it locked. 

He didn't like seeing Veronica sad like this. Bucky's heart felt like it was in a vise being squeezed until it hurt to breathe at the sight of her so forlorn. With the mood significantly shifted and no one could find much else to talk about once they'd exhausted the topic of Vienna, Sam left for the Compound. Not having a room he'd made up the couch for himself after the others went off to bed early themselves.

Laying awake most of the night he focused his heightened hearing for any sounds that Ronnie was still awake. The occasional sniffle and rustling of her sheets told him she was getting the same amount of rest as he was. Finally about half an hour ago he'd given up and went to make some coffee. 

Taking a long sip from his cup Bucky contemplated how he could apologize to her for yesterday. For worrying her and for making her upset. Neither of which he wanted to do at all. He wished they could just go back to before he'd kissed her when things were easy and she didn't avoid him. 

The sound of bare feet walking stealthily in the upstairs hall had him on alert. It was Ronnie. He'd know the cadence of her soft footsteps anywhere. Bucky watched from his seat at the kitchen table as she paused at the foot of the stairs looking around the living room for a moment before heading towards him. He noted that she was dressed in a dark short silky looking nightgown and matching robe instead of her usual t-shirt and shorts. Guess that's what happens when someone else packs your bag for you.

Her steps slow and the soft click of a knife unsheathing sounds. Good girl. She couldn't see him, but she knew someone was there and was prepared.

"Who's there?" Her voice came out quiet, but strong as if daring whoever it was that was hiding to try her, making him smile a little.

"Just me, doll. Couldn't sleep?" The snick of her blade resheathing was the only answer as Ronnie put her knife back into her pocket as she came closer.

Ignoring his question she asked, "Why are you drinking coffee at 1:35 in the morning? That's not going to help you fall asleep." He shrugged and took another drink from his mug, keeping it in his hand when he was finished. Padding over as she stands next to him has Bucky tilting his tired face up to look at hers. "No more coffee, James. You need to try and get some sleep."

He lets out a little laugh and hands her his half empty cup, their fingers briefly touching making his skin tingle with warm electricity. "Fine, no more coffee, but that's not gonna keep me from not sleeping. Caffeine and alcohol don't have an effect on me anymore, remember." She paused at the sink as that information settled into her tired brain. 

"I knew that from Steve. Guess I'm more tired than I thought." So she finally admitted that she hadn't gotten any sleep as well, but only at the reminder of Steve's enhancement. Steve. That was a touchy subject and he knew if he kept the conversation in that direction she'd leave so he changed it to what had been keeping him up.