Movie night

Steve's POV

After Ronnie went to talk to Bucky, Steve pulled out one of the blank sketchbooks and pencil case he had stored on the bookshelf by his chair in the TV room. This was his favorite spot to draw because of the excellent light that streamed through this window for most of the day. Steve wanted to do something for Bucky to hopefully help trigger his memories. To be honest it was for himself as well. His plan was to draw moments from their past and write a short description of that moment to give it context.

From memory he drew Bucky and his mom, Sarah. It was an afternoon spent in the Rogers' kitchen after school while his mom made her Irish shortbread cookies. On this particular afternoon a 9 year old Bucky had half carried at 8 year old Steve home after he'd gotten beaten up by that jerk Tommy Donahue. Steve had tried stopping Tommy from picking on Dotty O'Reilly all because she was Irish. Being a first generation Irish American himself Steve had taken offense on her behalf. He'd been successful in that Dotty had been able to get away, but unsuccessful in that he'd gotten the snot beaten out of him. That is until Buck had jumped on Tommy's back to get him off of Steve.

Because of his standing up for Dotty and Bucky coming to Steve's rescue his mom had made them the special treat. Both boys had been properly chagrined as the fiery Irish woman had admonished them for getting caught up in fighting as she handed both of them a small plate and a large glass of milk. With one angry sentence to the next she had kissed the tops of their heads and cleaned up Steve's bloody nose and split lip. A sentimental smile crept across his face at the memory of his beloved mother. He missed her every day, but it was in moments like this that the pain of losing her really got to him.

Finished with his drawing he set the sketchbook down on the table next to his chair and stretched out his back. Noting that almost two hours had passed since he had started drawing he wondered what was taking Ronnie so long and if she was okay. Deciding to go check on her and Bucky he got up and headed towards the bedrooms. Buck's door was partially open, but it was all quiet inside. Pushing the door open wider Steve stops at the sight before him.

Ronnie and Bucky were wrapped around each other asleep on the bed half covered with a blanket. Their legs tangled together, his face in her neck, his hands tight around her body, one of her hands buried in Bucky's long hair. Steve's breath caught and his stomach felt like it had suddenly dropped out onto the floor. Walking closer with his jaw clenched tight he sees the book she was holding earlier besides her. From this angle he saw that Bucky's eyes are red and puffy from crying.

They hadn't been fooling around; she'd been comforting him. He was a jealous idiot. Steve quietly left the room, closing the door back to the position it had been when he came in. He needed to get his head straight and just tell Ronnie how he feels about her so they could avoid situations like this. After her reaction to him earlier he knows she feels something for him. It was just unknown if she wanted to take their friendship further.

+++

Bucky's POV

Stirring Bucky slowly woke up. Forgetting where he was and who he was clutching onto so tightly for a moment. Jerking his head back he saw the beautiful sleeping face of Veronica Stark. Embarrassment flooded him. He'd cried, no he'd sobbed, in her arms when she had told him all that she was going to do for him. Asking him to trust her. God, the vehemence in her voice and the fire in her eyes when she dared anyone to take him from her had set him back on his heels. Then she'd read to him while he had wrapped himself around her like a scared child.

He'd never had anyone besides Steve or his family care that much for him as far as he knew. She was a stranger, she didn't know him. Why would she do that for him?