It's a surprise

Steve's POV

It'd been two days since they slept together and sort of poured their hearts out to each other. He'd like to say that everything had clicked into place and they were skipping into the sunset holding hands, but this wasn't Oz and so the awkward 'what is this' crept in. It didn't help that he and Buck weren't the only ones vying for Ronnie's love and attention. She'd spent the last two days holing up with Loki learning Allspeak when she wasn't training with the Dora Milaje; they all saw each other at meal times but real intimacy was lacking when they were joined by the Asgardian and the entire Wakandan royal family plus accompanying guards. Feeling disconnected from the woman he loved and who has been his best friend for the last four years, Steve took matters into his own hands. How else was he supposed to show Veronica that he meant what he told her?

After making sure that his best friend was okay with this one on one date night idea he planned what he hoped was a romantic evening. With Shuri and Bucky's help he got everything arranged that afternoon for tonight, now all he had to do was find Ronnie. Exiting his room Steve ran a hand over his freshly shaven face as he headed towards the library that Ronnie and Loki had been using as a classroom of sorts. Trying to remember the correct twists and turns that was the maze of the palace he finally found it nearly twenty minutes later and he'd only gotten lost twice. Taking a couple of deep breaths he wiped his sweaty palms on his black slacks, nodding as he mentally pep talked himself into not chickening out. Hesitating for a long second before he reached out his fist to knock, Steve wasn't expecting the door to open so quickly to reveal an unsurprised Loki. The other man lifted a dark brow, stepping backwards for him to enter. "Captain Rogers, please come in."

Thanking him Steve does, but only to stand just inside searching out Ronnie. He finds her seated at one of the many tables with a notebook in front of her, pen half-raised as she looks questioningly back at him. Roughly clearing his throat Steve glanced at Loki before giving Ronnie his full attention. "Sorry to interrupt. I know you've been ending your lessons about this time for dinner."

Opening the door further the Asgardian says his goodbyes as he stares hard at Steve with what looks like a genuine smile as if he knows what he's planning. "It's quite alright, Captain. We were just getting ready to pack up for the evening. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to freshen up before I eat." With a bow of his head in Steve's direction Loki then blows her kiss. "I shall see you tomorrow, darling."

Silently sitting there watching the two of them with mild bemusement, Ronnie gives the god a small smile before saying, "Later, princeling." Her whiskey colored eyes shift over to him as she gathers up her things to put them away. "What's up, Spangles?"

A relieved grin tugs at his lips at the playful nickname. If she was teasing him things weren't as bad as he thought. "Um, ha.." Nervously rubbing the back of his neck as she scans her eyes curiously over his nice clothes. Stammering like an idiot he shuts up when she abruptly cuts him off. "I was wondering– hoping really… that you and I–"

"You shaved off your beard!"

Ronnie stood up coming around the table to look up at him with wide eyes. Lifting a hand to run over his face he nods amused by her shock. "Yeah, it's too hot here for me to keep it." He said as she trailed her fingertips over his shaven cheeks causing his breath to hitch in his throat at her touch.

Snapping back to herself Ronnie snatched her hand back when she realized that she rudely interrupted him and had been caressing his face for the last several seconds. "Sorry, you were trying to say something and I interrupted you."

Chuckling, Steve hedged out carefully to see where she stood with them at the moment. "Right, yes. I wanted to see if you would come with me? I felt like we should talk. It doesn't have to be anything serious, I just… I miss my best friend." Concerned surprise lights up her eyes as she looks up into his. Okay maybe that came out a little bit more desperate than he intended.