C H A P T E R 39

"Kryos, report the state of my kingdom," Arius asked the man at the end of the table

It was only two times a year that Arius and his advisors came together to talk about the kingdom's health, people, and more. As they were all discussing together, I focused on a female advisor who was staring at me with a glare. I looked right back at her without breaking her stare and raised an eyebrow at her. She returned a scoff and resumed her focus back on my mate.

The man Arius addressed, Kryos, was talking about the recent outbreak at Eboracucm.

"We have taken extra measures to make sure that an outbreak like that will not happen again. Adding new soldiers and more recruiters for every one dead to find their place here more easily," Kryos said.

Arius took one of his hands and rubbed his jaw a little before saying "Good, inform me if anything changes."

Arius looked at me for a second before continuing the meeting, as we all listened to the king. When I looked back at the advisors, I saw that she was looking at me again, except it wasn't only her. Others joined to glare at me, too.

Noticing, Arius asked his advisors, "Is there a problem?"

When nobody answered, Arius asked the female advisor that was staring at me from the beginning, "Zephyra?"

"I just do not understand," she said.

"And what is that you don't understand?" Arius answered.

"How you could make a weak mortal little wolf our queen. She will cause the destruction of our kingdom because the people will see that weakness has taken hold of our leaders," Zephyra replied.

Arius's beast let out a growl of anger at the snide comment against his mate. I put an arm in his hand and the feeling of me began to calm him down. I stood up from my throne and walked over to where she stood.

"Zephyra was it?" I asked.

"Yes."

"When you see weakness in me, I see humanity. Instead of questioning our power, I think our people will be more inclined to listen to us because they see one of their own as their leader. One that can understand their problems and wants better than any of you can," I said to her.

"And what makes you think that?"

"Because I was a normal wolf, I had my position as a beta in a pack and have had a normal life before all this. All of you, including Arius, have lived here your entire lives and crave for nothing. There are people out there who have died that have lived lives in poverty, abuse, and fear. Can you truly understand that?" I asked.

Zephyra looked at me, finally without contempt, and asked, "How do you suppose we help them?"

"Not everything is about order. We have to be able to provide the happiness some haven't received when they were alive. Reunite them with their families, help them find love, and have a home of their own where they will never need for anything," I answered back.