Chapter 11

Needless to say, after waking up from the intense nightmare, Jieun had slept through the night without any more nightmares. She woke up from the brightness of the sun that was filtering through the curtains of her room. Soon she became fully awake when she heard soft snores next to her, and was slightly startled when she saw Jihyuk lying there next to her propped up in a half-lying and a half-sitting position with his head on the headboard, sound asleep. The sight of him in her room brought a warm sensation throughout her body.

           He said he would stay with her just until she fell asleep. He ended up staying all night for her.

         She turned to her side facing him, watching his relaxed face and the rise and fall of his chest. Normally, she would be terrified if she woke up in bed with anyone; but he always seemed to be a special case. Having known him for only a few days, she had never thought that she would be this comfortable with him. Typically, it would take her some time to be comfortable with someone she just met. She doesn't trust people easily, either, so she does not know why she seems to break down her barriers when she's with him and couldn't help but trust him. 

           Perhaps it was because of how he went above and beyond to protect her. Nobody has made her feel safe for a long time. His presence seemed to bring her comfort and safety, and a sense of peace that enveloped her whole being.

           The moment was shattered when a rhythmic vibration came from the bedside table. She quickly grabbed her phone and mute it, afraid that the noise would wake him up. However, his face was scrunched up as he turned the other way with his back facing her, shuffling in his sleep. Jieun let out a low chuckle as she moved from the bed and left the room to pick up her call.

          "Hello?" She mumbled to the receiver once she was outside the room. 

           "Jieun-nah. Thank god." Seri said at the other end of the line, sounding relieved.

           "Is everything okay?" Jieun asked the older woman. She changed her location to the kitchen to make herself some tea and coffee for Jihyuk.

           "Listen, take a day off today. No need to come by the office." Seri sounded frantic. Jieun furrowed her eyebrows at her tone.

           "Why not? What's wrong?" 

           "It's-" Seri's sentence was cut off from the line. Hanteo had come to the phone.

            "Jieun-nah. Listen to Seri. Don't come to the office. Stay with Jihyuk."

            Jieun pressed the start button to the coffee machine as she leaned against the counter. "Oppa. Tell me what's wrong." Her tone was flat, leaving no room for an argument.

           Hanteo seemed to hesitate on the other line, before he answered, "Well, there has been some commotion here. Minyoung went up to your office this morning to get her thermos bottle because she left it there yesterday, and there she saw a beheaded bird on your desk. It was gruesome. There was blood everywhere, and there's also a note for you. Minyoung was really shaken after that."

           Jieun almost dropped her phone. Her heartbeat quickened as she grabbed the counter for support. "What did the note say?" 

            There was a pause. " 'I let you get away once. I'm not going to repeat the same mistake.' "

           Jieun sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "Is Minyoung okay?"

            "She's fine now. She was a little bit shaken, but she's okay. You should worry about yourself, Jieun Nah. Don't go anywhere today and stay with Jihyuk at all times. It seemed like someone working here in our entertainment is responsible for this. There was no sign of a break-in. We can't risk you coming here for now."