Chapter 41

This was the first time in a while that Jieun had slept peacefully without any calls asking her to show up to set or waking up in the middle of the night because her brain randomly thought of Jihyuk and she just couldn't go back to sleep. Because now, as she woke up to find that the space beside her was empty, she knew that this wasn't like the usual mornings in Columbia, because he was there with her all night, holding her close to him.

     She rubbed her eyes trying to get rid of the sleepiness as she slowly got up to a sitting position. She stretched her arms and legs and looked at the time in the digital clock on the nightstand. Jihyuk had bought it because they found out that it was such a hassle to put their alarms on their phones, but today he hadn't set an alarm because he wanted her to sleep in. And besides, today was Saturday. The clock read 9:40. She groaned and forced herself out of bed and walked slowly to the bathroom to wash up and get ready for the day.

     When she was out of their bedroom, the first thing that hit her was an aroma that she knew all too well. She glanced at the kitchen to find Jihyuk busying himself at the counter. Automatically, a smile grew on her face as she approached him. Glancing over his shoulder, she saw that he was stirring some kind of stew in a pot. Her mouth instinctively watered.

     Sensing that he wasn't alone, he tilted his head to find Jieun smiling up at him. "You're awake. Good morning." He said, and as he was about to fully turn around to face her, Jieun drew closer and hugged him from behind. "Good morning." She replied, standing on her tiptoes and resting her chin on his shoulder. She took another intake of smell. "Smells good, looks good. Is it soybean paste stew?" Jihyuk nodded as he resumed stirring. He glanced at Jieun and couldn't help but think that this was the most intimate moment that they had, even though they had kissed numerous times and had just been sleeping wrapped up in each other a few hours ago.

     He returned his gaze shyly back at the stew. "I thought that you must have grown tired of American breakfast, so I decided to cook something homely." Jieun nodded and tightened her arms around him. She turned to look at him and smiled brightly. "I can't wait for our date today. By the way, where are we going?" It was Jihyuk who turned to her and gave her a playful smile. "It's a surprise." She raised her eyebrows at that, before releasing her arms around him. She chuckled in defeat. "Okay. And also, I won't disturb you anymore." She smiled at him before turning around to sit at the dining table, but she stopped in her tracks when she felt him grab her arm. "Who said you were disturbing me? I found myself more productive when you hugged me." She chuckled at his bluntness as she leaned against the counter. "Really? Cause I think that you're overcooking it." Jihyuk turned to look at the stew to find that it was overflowing with bubbles. He quickly turned off the stove and gave her a sheepish look. Jieun grinned. "I'll set the table." She said, still grinning. He watched sheepishly after her for another second before he turned back around to pick up the pot from the stove using a pair of towels to avoid burning his hand.

     Jieun went to the fridge to get some leftover side dishes to go with the stew. Once everything was set, they sat down and immediately started eating. Jihyuk chuckled as he watched Jieun scarfing down her breakfast, which was unlike her. She liked to eat her meals slowly. "Slow down, noona." Jieun looked up at him amidst her bite. "I don't want to be late for our date." She said with a mouthful of rice Jihyuk chuckled again as he poured a glass of water for her. "There's no designated time for our date. Besides, our date starts -" He looked at his watch before grinning at her, "Right now." Jieun gave him a questioning look, for which he put down his spoon and regarded her look with another smile. "Cooking you a homemade Korean breakfast is the first thing on the list for today." Jieun's face morphed into understanding as her lips slowly broke into a breathtaking smile.