Chapter 12

May 16, 2002

Jihyuk ran through the rain, his shoes stomping against the wet street as he passed through the mass of people. He didn't know where he was, or where he was going. All he knew was that he needed to escape. He needed to get away from them as far away as possible.

He soon began to feel exhausted. His foot no longer could carry him as he slumped to the floor, his knees hitting the concrete. He winced in pain at the contact. Blood seeped out of his knees, now combined with the blood from the wounds on his face. The rain began to wash the blood away, but the cold water coming in contact with his wounds left him in immense pain. He sat down on the pavement and hugged his knees. He buried his face in his arms as silent tears began to stream down his face.

He had escaped from the orphanage because the kids were beating him up again, but it was far worse than before this time. He had always managed to tolerate the pain; really, he was beginning to get used to it, but this time, they had taken it too far.

He sat there for god knows how long. The people on the streets began to decrease one by one as the sun began to set on the horizon.

He felt the rain stop trickling down his form, but there were still droplets around him. He removed his head from his arms and looked up to find a girl about his age standing above him, holding an umbrella out to cover him from the rain.

"Why are you sitting here all alone?" The little girl asked. Her expression was soft. She crouched down in front of him so they were on eye level. She reached out to touch his arm. He freezes under her touch.

He pulled away at the contact and moved backward away from her.

"Aren't you cold?" She asked again. She moved closer and hovered her umbrella above him. He shook his head as he looked anywhere but her.

"What's your name? Why are you here all alone? What happened to your face?" She tried again. No reply.

"Are you lost? Where is your home?"

"I don't have a home." He spoke to her for the first time since they met. She furrowed her eyes in confusion.

"Everyone has a home. Why don't you have one?"

"I don't know." He answered her truthfully. The little girl giggled.

"You're funny. How do you not know if you have a home or not?"

He didn't answer her. He continued to look at her with a blank expression. Who is this girl and why is she asking so many questions?

He heard a distant voice. They both looked up to find a woman who looked like she's in her 50s running towards them.

"There you are. I was looking everywhere for you. Why did you leave my side?" The old woman hugged the little girl who giggled.

"Sorry halmonie. I got bored and decided to take a walk around the area. I didn't go far." the girl replied with a bright smile. The woman can't seem to stay angry at her, it seemed, so she smiled and told her to not wander off again.

She didn't notice Jihyuk until Jieun turned back to look at him.

"And who is this? Your friend?" The old woman asked.

The little girl shook his head. "How old are you?" she asked Jihyuk.

"Eight."

"I'm one year older than you, but I guess we can be friends." She stretched her hand out. Jihyuk stared at her outstretched hand.