Episode 6

The cab comes to halt. She pays the fare and they get down the cab. He looks at the house. Painted in blue, it was an old ancestral house having a small verandah infront. The Door and windows were painted in maroon. The roof was slopy and made of tiles.

Shehnaaz: Come! (She calls as she took few steps towards the house)

He followed her. The door was open and she took off her sandals before she went inside. Up until now he didn't fear of anything but as he approached closer to the door, his feet trembled. His conscience scolded him that he was doing wrong.

Shehnaaz: Come inside Sidharth.

He left his slipper and went inside.

Shehnaaz: Amma, this is Sidharth. He will handle the cashier's job in our sweetmart from now on and will stay with us.

Shantiben: Jai Shri Krishna (she folds her hands and greets him.)

Sidharth: Jai Shri Krishna (he folds his hands in reply)

Shantiben: Dikri, Ahi Avo.. Hu taari saathe vaata karavaani jarura che. {Come here, I need to speak to you)

Shehnaaz: I'll show him his room. Hu Aavu chu.. {I'm coming}

Shehnaaz takes him along with her and shows him the room. He looks around at the room. It had a big bed,  a wooden cupboard, an old table with few drawers and a big mirror attached to the table. There were few photo frames kept on the table. Photos of plumpy little Shehnaaz with her father and another photograph of her parents together.

Shehnaaz: This is actually my room. Since we've only two rooms. You can stay here for now. I'll take my belongings afterwards.

Sidharth: What? Where would you stay then?

Shehnaaz: I'll stay in another room with amma.

Sidharth: How will you three people stay in one room? I can sleep in the hall.

Shehnaaz: No, my father is no more. He left us few months back. It was the darkest day of my life. (Tears fill up her eyes)

Sidharth: I am sorry!

Shehnaaz: (wipes her tear which was  accumulated on the eyelashes) Why are you sorry about it? There are quiet a few people who need to be sorry for it. Anyways, do you have anything in that bag of yours? Like clothes and other basic things? Let me know if you need anything, anytime.

Sidharth: I do have what I need. Thank you.

She excuses herself to go and meet her mother.

Sidharth picks up the photo frame and looks at it . He then pulls out his phone and dials Radha's number.

Sidharth: Hello Mom! I will be out of station for somedays on work.

Radha: When will you return Sidharth?

Sidharth: I don't know exactly till when. May be a week or two. I shall keep you posted. Mom, I will call you whenever I get free but if you want to reach me, then leave a message and I will call you back. Okay?

Radha: Okay dear. Take care of yourself.

Sidharth: You too mom. Bye!

He disconnects the call and puts the mobile on silent before hiding it inside his bag.
.
.
Shantiben: Sana, I understood you hired someone to help with sweet mart work but why did you get him home? If your father was alive then it would have been a different case but with only two ladies in the house, having an unknown man, people will character shame us.