Chapter 72

Chapter 72

"Kristie, why?!" the anguish cry of Arthur as the phantom echoed throughout the auditorium. It was the biggest performance Cherryton has ever produced besides the female version of Adler led by Juno.

Mizuchi was watching in awe behind the curtains with the other stage hands consisting of Dom, Kibi, Kai, Fudge the red panda and Mina the giraffe. The harlequin rabbit hoped that her boyfriend will be okay since he has never acted before and in order to move on cue, there was a tiny earpiece in his left ear where he was given instructions from Sanu.

"He's never acted before and yet he's good at it," Kai scoffed. "Let me remind you that it took hours to make him understand facial expressions and emotions through hearing. It was weird!"

"Shh! We're getting to the good part."

And this was the part where Kristie, played by Els, handed the Honduran white bat his porcelain mask back. Mizuchi has done the makeup for most of the actors, even sketching their expressions in her little sketch book. Peaking at the guests, she could spot Riley and Tanya sitting somewhere at the back and hanging on the high ceiling was none other than Arthur's father.

It wasn't hard to spot white fur after all.

What was interesting was a figure hanging upside down beside him that was big enough to be the same size as a tiger.

She shook her head, resuming to watch the play. Arthur has never looked so regal in his costume. She could've designed her own outfit and maybe one day they both could go out together for Halloween.

"Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation~" his voice sang the lyrics. It seems like the audience were trapped by his voice. It wasn't like a famous singer but it sounded like an animal that poured his heart out. Mizuchi figured everyone in the audience also felt it.

She wondered if Arthur knew he has that effect on her? It would be funny if she teased him about how it was similar to the Vampyrum novels she has read. Lately, she was getting into a female Vampyrum novel called 'Camilla'.

Arthur, the bat that stole her heart and in his winged embrace, opened her eyes to things she was blind to see due to her reputation as a harlequin rabbit.

Just then, her phone buzzed in her hand. It was a message from her mother to come home after the play for dinner. What made Mizuchi feel an anxiety build up in her stomach was the fact that her mother INSISTED on her bringing back Arthur.

"Hey!" Kai's hissed snapped her out of her anxious thoughts. "We're getting to the part where Kristie removes his mask again before the viscount rescues her."

The viscount was played by Pina, who looked like a prince in his purple suit. But when the mask was removed, Mizuchi could hear all the audience gasped in horror. She knew that her makeup work has finally paid off.

"Holy shit...he looks terrifying!"

"A grotesque monster...."

"Ugly....So ugly...."

Mizuchi was nudged excitedly by Dom, who was pleased by the arrangement of the lighting, the costumes and makeup of Arthur's grotesque face. All Mizuchi had to do was take some inspiration from her Vampyrum novels to make some magic.

However, the unsettling emotions came back crashing like ocean waves. She was told to meet her family at a very expensive restaurant that requires formal attire. But more importantly:

Who told her family about her date with the Honduran white bat?

...

"Mizuchi, it's quite alright," Arthur assured her as his girlfriend was fussing over what he was wearing. After the performance, there were thunderous applause, especially when it was his turn to bow.

Once the curtains closed, he was greeted by Mizuchi with a kiss. Arthur loved it but was embarrassed that it was around most of the drama club members. Knowing the bat, Mizuchi whispered something to Arthur before he was whisked away to the changing room.

"It's just that my mom wouldn't stop pestering me until I give what she wants," she explained, straightening his tie. "I'm so sorry that I'm dragging you into this."

"Like I said, Mizuchi," Arthur smiled, cupping her cheek before using his thumb to stroke her. "I voice messaged my dad about it and he's alright with it. I think it's about time your family knows about me to clear up a few things. Also, you mentioned to Riley and Tanya about it."

Mizuchi sighed, of course he would say that. Despite his disabilities and what he endured, Arthur still managed a smile and make the day fulfilling. She knew it would be different once she graduated since there will be new people, new friends and relationship.

She has finally applied to a university that contains the course she was looking for: fashion design.

"Come, let's get to the train station before your family gets iffy about it."

Mizuchi hugged him. "Alright. Just mind your wings when we get there."

Arthur folded his wings to his side as his answer. The harlequin rabbit wanted to kiss him multiple times because of how adorable he was but there was one thing on her mind. 

She was going to confront her family on how do they know about their relationship.

...

Meanwhile, the members of the drama club were baffled by Arthur's sudden departure. They were all going to celebrate together about the play's success.

"I'm sure he has plans," Aoba assured an agitated Bill. Like most cat species, Bill's tail was swishing rapidly out of irritation. "After all, Arthur isn't the type to be in crowds."

"Still, he should at least listen to feedbacks about his performance before he left," Bill grumbled, gulping a bottle of MaiMai milk. It was a popular milk drink that was sold at the convenience store. "I swear, some of us carnivores are leaving left and right like Legosi or Riz. I still can't believe he quit school."

"We can't really tell," Els came up to tap his arm. "I'm sure it's something private that he's dealing with and we should respect it."

"Oh well, at least I can know about him through his old friend I followed on ZooTube," Pina chuckled. "He's quite a good narrator and historian if you ask me~"

Aoba found it odd that Pina would be the type to listen or watch those kinds of videos. Then again, he shouldn't be judgemental about it.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Ellen the zebra answered the door but her expression paled as she stepped back. Aoba was confused by this since he knew the zebra was a tough herbivore that never backed down. He figured it must be a large animal.

When the bald eagle went over to talk to the visitor, his beak almost dropped to the floor. He was tongue tied when he saw who it was. Judging from the clothing, it must be a new student that's probably fifteen or sixteen years old.

He honestly can't tell but what strikes Aoba the most was the type of animal this guest was. It was a large bat that was almost the same height as him with russet fur, black wings and those big round eyes.

"Excuse me," her voice asked meekly yet so regal. "Is the phantom actor around?

"Oh, he's out at the moment," Bill answered, smiling. "You want us to relay a message to him?"

"Yes, I'm interested in joining the gardening club so could you please let him know?"

"Of course we will," Bill laughed, nudging Aoba to say something. But the bald eagle was stunned as if he were a statue. The guest bowed her head down before turning away to leave.

"Aoba? Aoba!" Bill waved his large paw across his friend's face. "Hello, earth to eagle?! Say something?"

"Oh my," Pina giggled. "It seems as though someone has shot the bird down."