Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Mizuchi hugged the wrapped gift that was passed to her by Arthur.

She was happy to know that he loved the sweater she made for him and despite the fact he can't see what the design looked like, him saying it's comfortable and soft was enough for the harlequin rabbit to know that she did a good job.

She will open the gift later at her dorm and for now, she wants to finish some homework in the library. Not the place she goes to often because of all of the seats being occupied and everyone takes everything seriously.

It made her feel guilty that she doesn't study as much as she should since she will be graduating soon.

But that also means that these moments will be the last time she will ever see or talk with Arthur again. 

"I shouldn't think too deep into this," Mizuchi muttered to herself as she sat in one of the seats in the library. It was a miracle that she found an empty one at the corner that's away from most of the animals. She wanted to bang her head at the questions she has to complete for her mathematics.

Now, she knew it's important since mathematics is somewhat needed to take measurements and estimation of fabric lengths. She sighed and decided to do some of the sums while she plugged in her headphones to listen to some tunes from her favourite movies or pop idols.

As much as she does love a bit of fame, she knew the pressures of stardom and the image they have to put up to present themselves and will never have peace. Plus, obsessive fans who stalked them and sent them fan messages with their own blood because they are 'dedicated fans'. That's what she remembered reading in her favourite celebrity news websites.

That's the reason why she never joint any clubs in this school and there was never an art or at least a fashion club.

Suddenly, she felt a large wing touching her arm which made her whipped her head around and almost fell from her seat.

It was a bald eagle.

"S-stay away from me," Mizuchi whispered harshly, her green eyes blazing at the calm eagle's expression. "What my friends did or what I did to you, I-"

"Please listen," the eagle raised a wing to stop her from talking. "My name is Aoba and I am a friend of Arthur. I just want to talk to you for a bit."

Mizuchi stopped from almost using her pen to stab the eagle's eye.

Aoba kneeled down until he was at eye level to where the harlequin rabbit was sitting. She was something alright and he can understand why Arthur wouldn't mind hanging out with her again. For a herbivore and a rabbit, she can carry herself like those classy females in spy movies.

"What do you want to know about?" Mizuchi asked, nervous if this eagle knows anything about her relationship with the blind bat. And if he does, is he going to leak it out to the others, even the nosy newspaper club?

"I just want to say that Arthur's a good bat," Aoba clicked his raptor beak. "With all the tragic things that happened here and even on the news, we need good animals like him. A light in our darkness."

This made the harlequin rabbit calmed down and smiled as her white ear drooped down while the black one was still sticking up. "Yeah, he is a sweet bat. A bit odd with his speech but it's his optimism and perception that's different than any of us could imagine."

Aoba nodded. "Yes, and there's one thing I need you to promise. Not to me but to yourself."

Now Mizuchi was confused by this request but she had her paws gripped to the seat as she waited for this eagle to tell here what she needs to promise. Aoba whispered softly into her ear and her eyes widened.

"I...I would never-"

"I'm not accusing you about it," Aoba told her sharply. "But do you understand?"

Mizuchi slowly nodded, her foot stamped the carpeted floor. "Of course I do. I'm not a stranger to this."

With that, Aoba left the harlequin rabbit to continue her homework in peace. It seemed like Arthur has been making some interesting connections for himself. Aoba chuckled to himself, thinking that Arthur may not be aware with the types of animals he had influenced with his presence.

He dared to say that Arthur's influenced on him, the drama club and even some animals like his gardening club president and the harlequin rabbit more than Cherryton Academy's star student, Louis the red deer.

...

"So you wanted me to do what again?" asked Arthur, who took out the violin he brought in his backpack. He was backstage with some of the production crew and Mokichi, the sound choreographer.

"We just want you to play the theme from the very famous high sea movie," Sanu the Australian pelican explained. "Louis has announced that the actors and dancers might change the type of plays to give our club variety. This time, he wanted something similar to an action movie."

Arthur smiled, he remembered the private discussion he had with the red deer while they were in the Shishigumi mansion.

Speaking of which, he hoped non of those lions are prowling around here or else it would end very badly for everyone.

"We will signal you with a beat," said Mokichi. He snapped his fingers once and Arthur lifted his wing to signalled that he understood what needs to be done. They were waiting for the actors and dancers to finish so that the Honduran white bat can play.

"I'm not sure about this," he heard one of the animals whispered. "He might trip over most of the things on stage."

"Nonsense! Bats are known to be the most cautious animals, even if they are blind like him."

Arthur wondered if they ever tried to close their eyes and be that way for a week to know what it feels like. He's used to it but it does get annoying whenever someone asked him about colours or speak to him loudly as if his blindness is equalled to having poor hearing.

Once the actors and dancers left the stage, Arthur was called to present his music to the centre stage. The bat was relief that he couldn't hear anyone in front of him so the sounds were mostly from the others backstage. 

He heard the signal of the foot tap that vibrated the floor.

Slowly with a deep breathe, he began to play the queen of instruments: the violin.

The drama club was watching the bat moving the bow as if it was another limb on his wings while his body moved along with the song. It was as if he was becoming one with the music despite it sounding very adventurous and jolly. Even with his wobbly walk, it's very similar to

It was as thought Arthur was in a trance.

"I've heard this song before!" Bill hissed, gripping both the shoulders of Aoba and Tao.

"Yeah! The Voyage of the Mariners are the best! Imagine sailing those high seas!"

"I don't know you can play the song on just a violin," Els whispered as she and the other girls whispered among themselves. "I always thought you need a whole band to form the song."

Shiira leaned close to the curtains. "Maybe Cherryton should invest in having a music club. So far, I don't think the school is making any changes. But that's just my opinion."

While Arthur was lost to his instrumental trance, he could hear some faint footsteps in the background that didn't belong to any of the drama club members. He could feel his heart drop and a swarm of moths eating his stomach away.

Someone was inside and now his secret of being the musician is exposed!