Chapter 74

Chapter 74

Arthur was disappointed.

He believed that he did not earn Mizuchi's family's trust. Probably because of his choice of food or how he acted. He can't really tell due to his blindness so he relies on his hearing to listen to feedbacks and shift of tone.

From what he gathered, Mizuchi's family are an aristocratic type that he was familiar with back when he was in Gryphon Cross. Then again, he has no right to judge since he hardly knew them as well as his girlfriend.

He was hanging upside down on the train's railings, aware of the fact that some of the passengers were commenting about him. 

'If they think I am scary, I feel sorry for them if they ever met my cousin,' Arthur thought to himself, shuddering at the idea of his cousin. He shouldn't dwell too much on the past since he has a lot of responsibilities given to him now that graduation is close.

The gardening club, checking his next semester's subjects and his above mediocre grades were enough to make him drink a few tea mixtures that could screw up his body. Then again, he could  play some tunes with his instruments but he hasn't got any motivation for a song.

The train stopped at his destination, his thoughts still wrapping around certain issues which made him unaware that someone was following him. His mind was thinking about if Mizuchi was alright and everything with her family went well with her.

Before he knew it, he felt a blow to the head.

...

"Wake up...wake up!" a demanding voice shouted, giving a ringing sensation to the poor Honduran white bat's ear. Arthur wished that his body would give up on him now because he was too exhausted to even stand up.

"My eyes are open," said Arthur, slightly annoyed that his head was ringing, giving him a headache. "Why did you hit me, Genji?"

The silence was enough of an answer for the Honduran white bat to know that he has caught the harlequin rabbit in his act. There was no use struggling since Arthur knew it would harm him more than it would help him.

"Is this about Mizuchi?" he asked, tilting his head. "You know that you are shooting yourself in your own foot if you pursue her? I'm not trying to stop you because we both know how carnivores are treated-

SLAP!

"Shut up! Oh my fucking god, just shut up! You took away everything from me. Do you know that you're ruining Mizuchi's status as a harlequin rabbit? Our species is rare enough in this world but for her to mingle with a bat, let alone a blind bat? She's going to be shunned not only by her family but other rabbits as well."

Arthur's ears drooped, face still in the direction of the voice. He didn't want this harlequin rabbit to know that he has taken those words to heart. He was not strong. 

Words of insults about his species? He can brush those off. 

Sympathise him about his blindness? As if it were something as common as pouring tea in a cup.

But affecting someone's life just because of his actions? It was something he could not forgive himself. One of his worst fears is burdening someone with himself.

When he formed friendships back in Gryphon Cross, his default attitude was politeness since his lack of sight limit him from perceiving an animal through their facial expressions. Sometimes, he does feel like a burden towards his friends whenever they are in a group because they had to be extra cautious with him despite their reassurance.

He doesn't want Mizuchi to feel the burden of aiding him or the sense of embarrassment because of him.

"If you want to really finish me," Arthur spoke up quietly, hearing the intense breathing from the male harlequin rabbit. "Do what you have to do."

Arthur simply waited for the moment, thinking back about Mizuchi. The passionate harlequin doe that captured his heart. Of course, things were very rift in the beginning but like music, the frictional interactions between them slowly intertwine to create a melody.

A beautiful yet haunting melody of a rabbit and a bat.

Tears slid down his cheek as Arthur began to close his eyes, accepting his fate. He could relieved the burden he has bestowed upon animals he met and experienced in his life. Was wold many times on how he won't survive or succeed in this world due to his limits.

He has held onto a small hope that a nobody like him has at least contributed something to help others. Arthur cherished those memories he had made with his friends, family and even this predicament he has landed himself into.

Music has always been something so complex yet so complete to him.

Whenever he played, he was glad that he was helping someone much more than himself. Even if he doesn't have a position in this ever-changing society, he hoped his music and songs have touched others.

With that, Arthur felt nothing but a sudden impact and a sound of something ripping across his throat.

...

"You're quiet there, Aoba," Bill commented, gulping down a bottle of cold milk. The two of them were eating at the cafeteria for dinner. Carnivore menu consisted of omurice, a rice dish covered with a blanket of omelette with a side of warm bread roll and milk.

"I've always been quiet, Bill. I thought you know that?"

"Yeah I know but...How do I put this...You hardly touched your dinner, you avoided eye contact with most of the drama club members ever since that super-sized bat came and now you're turning into a bird Legosi! Seriously the nerve of that guy advising me when he is a dropout!"

Aoba clicked his beak. "Well, I guessed I'm just worried about Arthur. I mean, after his guest appearance during the play didn't you notice the rawness in his tone when he was the phantom? I know it sounds crazy but I swear I could feel Arthur grieving about something."

Bill tilted his head, tail swishing when he is irritated. "You think? I would say it's because the phantom is a lot like him just like how Louis is Adler. Both are tragically born with things that made them ugly, using music to save themselves and found love. Aoba, Arthur's strong for a blind white bat and you know it. He will be okay."

Aoba smiled and then laughed. "Since when are you a philosopher, Bill? I bet Els would want a bit of your parting wisdom."

Bill gently cuffed him by the head. "Shut up. Hey, isn't that one of Legosi's roommate? That spotted hyena guy?"

Both carnivores were staring at the said hyena, who was strumming his guitar. A few students gathered around to listen to his music. It was soft rock music that gave an uplifting ambience in the cafeteria. They figured it was something to relish after the play.

Suddenly, Aoba's phone began to vibrate. He checked to see what was going on, scrolling through his messages. His throat tightened and his eyes became dilated. Bill got up to shake his friend, asking him what was wrong.

No response.

The Bengal tiger peered over to see what had shocked his friend and it made his jaws dropped.

"ARTHUR IS IN CRITICAL CONDITION?!?!"