Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Mizuchi was fuming with anger.

How dared that freak of a bat just stepped on her foot without looking! He was creepy enough with ears too big for his head, those wings that were sewed to his fingers and those eyes...

Those eyes are just like voids without an end.

If it weren't for that wolf, she would have clobber that bat up! She saw that the other students were creeped out by him but she would be the first one to hit him if he ever comes close to her again.

The harlequin rabbit decided to maker her way towards her history class. A boring subject where she would just record what the teacher is saying on her phone or she could ask her friends to lend her their homework to copy.

She would rather be watching her favourite show on her laptop or check out some online stores for new clothe designs.

'Can't the class be anymore boring?' Mizuchi thought with a small yawn, trying to let her long ears listen to her teacher's droning. But then something caught her attention.

"- Now, we will dive into the war between the Birds, Beasts and Bats," announced the teacher. Mizuchi was convinced that the other students in the auditorium was now stirring from their boredom. This was new and she was sure it had something to do with that freak's arrival.

All of the class' sleepy demeanour was roused by the mention of the bat. Some students took out their notepads and laptop, ready to write down notes. Others were whispering in excitement, which meant that all the students will now know what to expect with the only Chiroptera on campus.

Clearing his throat, the teacher began. "Long ago, millions and millions of years ago during the Cretaceous period, the world was an empty place..."

'Empty place? I thought that's where out ancestors once roamed?' Mizuchi thought to herself. She may not like studying but she's not ignorant about the subjects the school taught her.

"Dinosaurs, our ancestors ruled both the land and skies which will later became our very own herbivores and carnivores," the teacher continued. "Bats were different however because they have the qualities of both to survive. Before their evolution, they were allowed to roam during the day and see the sun."

Mizuchi would lie if she said that the story behind the bats bored her. But that big-eared rat with wings was seen walking around campus before sunset. Hell, she wondered why she is thinking about him!

"Since the birds and beasts were dangerous, the bats stayed out of every conflict until they were surrounded. Because they won't choose a side, they were banished to be in eternal darkness. The Chiropteras were deemed as cowards and traitors among animals. From there, their fate has led them to uncertain lives..."

The auditorium was silent until a hand was raised up.

"Wait a minute, Teacher!" a lemur student protested. "They were banished to mix with us just because their ancestors were neutral about the war?!"

"Hey, sometimes you have to choose a side!" a leopard classmate argued. "We can't always be neutral and expect things to die down so quickly!"

"I wouldn't blame them," a rhinoceros student huffed. "Have you seen those wings and teeth? They made all of the carnivores in this room tame in comparison!"

The whole class became a sea of murmuring until the teacher decided to silenced them again. Mizuchi rolled her eyes and stopped her phone from recording. The other parts of the lesson is useless anyways. She took out a pencil to doodle a bit on a new design for either a handbag or a blouse until the class is over.