Chapter 98

Chapter 98

Mizuchi was fuming at the sight of the buck in front of her. Why now? Why, after all this time?!

Deciding to be civil, she invited him to the lobby's lounge where the fashion show was taking place. She ordered the both of them some Bloody Marys from Riley, who was the best at making the simplest drinks taste divine.

"You look well," Genji spoke up from the music. Through the flashing lights and the repetitive music that emphasised the models in the background, Genji was looking more like a predator than prey. Mizuchi's stick-up ears were already straining to their maximum points.

When a rabbit's ears were erected for the whole day, it was a sign of annoyance and distress.

"Could say the same for you," Mizuchi remarked, sipping her cocktail. She wished for a stronger drink but her job was on the line. Unlike the last time she had seen him, Genji now sports a pudge in his stomach, whiskers longer than a feline's and his fur slightly matted. Curiously, she asked, "What have you been up to?"

"Mostly e-learning design at local universities," he answered, leaning back in his seat. "I get a cubicle for myself and can just download any AI software to write things up for me. Easy peasy."

Mizuchi sipped more of her drink, knowing how far was this buck going to go. "And you're here because..."

Genji's ears straightened up, mirroring hers. "I...I wanted to apologise for everything at Cherryton. And for the little guy..."

"So, you came all this way to apologise," she concluded, causing Genji to nod his head. Another sip, she replied, "I don't forgive you."

It took Genji a few minutes to process what Mizuchi had said as his smile slowly disappeared. "What? What do you mean you 'don't forgive me'? I said I was sorry."

"Yeah, I don't forgive you," Mizuchi's tone was finale. 

"I feel guilty, came all this way and," Genji trailed off, his hands were gesturing wildly, "why couldn't you find it in your heart to forgive me? I did the community service, I left the bat alone and now you? All I want is forgiveness!"

The music was getting louder, the announcement for the next model was heard. Genji's expression was that of frustration and exasperation. She was so tempted to call for security but this was Genji.

She tapped her heeled foot once.

"Genji, no matter what kind of journey you went through or the self-help books you've been reading," Mizuchi began, ears already straining to stick up. "It's up to those that you've hurt to decide whether to forgive you or not. You've HAD your chance before we graduated from Cherryton but you didn't even bother. No,  I don't forgive you, but it doesn't mean that I shouldn't wish you good luck to whatever you decide in the future."

The brown and white harlequin buck lets out a snort as he stood up from his seat. He leaned over the table until his whiskers brushed her cheek. "You've changed, Mizuchi. Never would have thought that you'd be a frigid ice queen."

"I never would have thought that you'd be more predator than any carnivore I know," she remarked. Genji was ready to rebuke when a security guard, a brown bear loomed behind him. "Is this buck bothering you, ma'am?"

"No, he was just leaving."

Once Genji stormed out of the hotel, Mizuchi immediately wiped away the incoming tears that began to ran down her cheek. She doesn't need sympathy for now because she had her fashion show to take care of. 

With that, she decided to order herself a sour grapefruit juice with a side of spicy peanuts.

...