Chapter 82

Chapter 82

"And that concludes the meeting for today," the Dean of Manticore University, an ermine stoat switched off the presentation slides from his computer. The lecturers were given a short meeting about the upcoming changes at the institution after certain events.

Dr Kirk wished his ears would at least block out the constant sounds of his colleagues questioning him ever since the trial that took place. He noted that he was the only bat at the university that had to wear the silver band on his wing.

'We may vary in age but it takes a certain experience to be mature,' he commented inwardly to himself. Carnivores bare their fangs slightly at him while herbivores whispered amongst themselves to take precaution. 

Do these animals know that he could hear their gossips clearly?

"Still can't believe the Dean had to remind us to behave ourselves," Dr Connor grumbled, rearranging a few papers into a folder. "Us carnivores know when to hide our claws and cover our fangs. And to top it all, other staffs are probably talking about us. We're not in high school anymore!"

Dr Kirk covered his ears while he was riding on the Nile crocodile's shoulder. Dr Connor has never raised his voice until now. The whole news about his son has become the latest gossip at the university. 

"Well, we're just children trying out more responsibilities as we get older," said Dr Kirk. "None of us, carnivore or herbivore can escape a few gabs thrown at us. Which is why it is our job as teachers, let alone parents to educate these students about what to expect in the real world."

Dr Kirk heard a low rumble within Dr Connor, who was flexing his right robotic arm. It never stopped the large reptile from carrying on with life despite a few incidents. "So, are you planning to make a serum to regrow your arm?"

Dr Connor laughed, causing a few smaller animals to scurry away while the primates huddle each other. "Dr Kirk, I'm not a miracle worker. Even if I managed to make a breakthrough with my thesis, a few would've experimented on me to see if other parts of my body would grow back."

The old Honduran white bat laughed along with his close friend. "The same can be said for my paper. The very idea some of the professors think that I'm a nutter for saying Pluto contains a few sounds that broke the space's vacuumed atmosphere."

"I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen," Dr Connor grinned, as they walked along the main campus. "Some can disprove our papers while it takes a few seat-warmers to take it into consideration. So, are you going back to the missus and kids?"

Dr Kirk nodded. "I'm going to spend time with them before going back to the apartment. I'm staying over during the weekends where I won't have a crazy schedule to keep me awake. Arthur will be joining us this weekend. If I have time, I will drop in on Dr Gouhin."

The Nile crocodile nodded, checking both sides of the road before crossing the street. The both of them were at the Black Market, where most of the patrons regarded them with a mix of awe and fear. "Send my regards to them, Kirk. Next time, come over to my place for cornbread and walnut sausages."

Dr Kirk tapped his friend's head before hanging himself upside down on a poorly lit streetlamp. "Please don't be a stranger as well. But are you going back home?"

Dr Connor shook his head. "Heading to the Muscle Bar. One of the dancers and I go way back. I just hope she doesn't wallop me this time around. See at work, Kirk."

Dr Kirk bids his friend goodbye before taking off to see his family after leaving his son a voice message.

...

"I'm b-b-begging you without you, I'm done f-f-for~" Arthur struggled to sing the song without choking onto his tears. It's been Nocturna knows how many hours already!

"Hey, hey, what's with the tears?"

Arthur, tasting the saltiness of his own tears immediately wipe them to avoid any embarrassment. While he was playing the piano, a memory resurfaced. He was thinking about her while he was playing a song that describes loneliness.

From keyboard to harmonica to his violin and his trumpet.

As a habit, he does play his instruments the early morning and evening as a way to comfort and express himself. Though it may have impacted on Cherryton, none of them except his friends knew why most of his tunes carried a bittersweet tone.

"Oh, please forgive me!" Arthur chuckled nervously. "I-I can't remember the last time I played a song that has affected me."

"Ah ah," his client tsked. "I may not know what sentimentality is but I know a liar when a hear one. Come on, bat! You're not the only one with lie-detecting ears."

Arthur was trying not to shake or let more tears fall from his face. He lifted his head to face where the voice was. He sighed, knowing that he has no other options yet, told him why.

"Eh, interspecies? You know that's gonna end up with a heartbreak! Sure the news are breaking out about it but by the end of the day, one is going to devour the other. I'm a by-product of it and look where that's got me."

"I can assure you Mr Melon, I'm not a Vampyrum," Arthur had a toothy smile. "I'll be happy to let you speak to my cousin but then again he won't be back for another twenty years."

He heard nothing except the tapping of fingers, probably impatient about something. Arthur tried to imagine the fall of rain to soothe his mind. Mizuchi and him still talk via voice message but he knew she needs to concentrate on her studies if she wants to be a fashion designer.

Other than that, he has more responsibilities since the trial. Yafya has been monitoring him and his father through the bands and has to think about what will he do once he has graduated.

"How do I look, bat?" Melon asked, hearing his shoes scrape the floor.

"With your eyes, Mr Melon."

"Fuck, I forgot you can't see shit!" Melon laughed, Arthur imagining him clutching his chest. "Oh well, you're more useful that those kitties that grovelled at my feet. Here's your cut and I expect you to keep your side of the bargain."

Arthur nodded, thanking him before he was escorted out by a lion named Dolph.

Just then, his phone rang. Plugging his headphones, he began to answer who was calling him close to midnight.

"Hello?"

"Arthur! I haven't heard from you for a while. At least I don't have to see your face. So have you heard anything about Legosi?"

The Honduran white bat's expression dropped. The red deer's voice sounded scared about the grey wolf. It made him anxious as well. On top of that, why call him?

"No, what happened to Legosi? Louis??"

"Arthur....He-"

The line was hung up.