Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Arthur was escorted to the kitchen rather forcefully but the bat won't struggle because he knew that this organised group meant what they said about him and Bill getting eaten. Arthur relied on his ears and nose for this.

Despite the fact that he is in a tight situation, he felt his heart rate calming down. He focused on his task of preparing a meal for hungry lions while he felt someone standing too close to him. Arthur said nothing but thought of a song he would like to play when he gets back, a nice cup of tea and a good braille book to read. Maybe a mystery series or a fantasy novel will do.

Oh yes, the Honduran white bat was comfortable alright.

Bill was indeed with him this whole time, describing to Arthur about the surroundings and what he could see in the kitchen. He was grateful that Bill doesn't mind being the bat's eyes while they are in this predicament.

"So what are you making, Arthur?"

The bat had a small, cheeky smile. "I can't tell you but it's got some insects in it. Because of what  we've heard, let's see if this works. If not, it is worth a shot."

Bill was confused by Arthur's optimism in this dire situation. "What makes you so positive about it? Aren't you scared at all?"

Arthur's expression became serious. "Of course! I'm more terrified than you. I know there's a lion here watching our every move but if we play our cards right, hopefully we can go home. Besides, our Dorm Mother is scarier than these pride of lions."

Bill couldn't help but chuckle. "Yeah. Okay, just tell me what do you need to see."

So Arthur does the handiwork while Bill guided him on what the bat could not see. The lion in the background name Dolph was watching the pair with fascination. All his life in the Black Market, he never knew disabled animals could be capable of carrying out tasks just like any other animals in society.

In his perspective, handicapped animals were usually locked away so that society doesn't have to look at them. Or the most merciful thing to do to a handicap is to end their suffering. But this bat...

This bat looked contented in his whole demeanour despite the fact that he can't see.

He guessed that as he grows older, there's more to learn from those younger than him.

What surprised him and the Bengal tiger afterwards was the little hums that was barely audible to hear but they were certain that it came from the Honduran white bat himself.

Needless to say, Dolph was interested in what this blind Chiroptera has in store for them

...

Arthur was nervous at what he was serving to the table with the Shishigumi. He hoped the plating was how he imagined it. Thankfully with Bill, he assured the bat that his dish looked fine. He had whipped up stuffed pasta he made from scratch and the filling was cheese and grasshopper which was his favourite and it was cooked in butter and chopped up herbs, giving it a welcoming aroma.

He could only listen to the clinking of cutleries and the occasionally gulping in the room. He wrapped his wings across his body like a safety blanket. He winced a bit when he tried to stretched his torn left wing, smelling the faint scent of his own blood.

There was silence except for the occasional incoherent mumbles of these big cats.

"I think your pasta's good," Bill whispered rather too closely to Arthur's disc-shaped ears. It sounded like a hissing of a leaked pipe that was bound to explode. But Arthur managed to shake it off and smile.