Chapter 97

Chapter 97

Five Years Later

Arthur was doing some warm ups on his keyboard before his very first gig. During his final year at Cherryton, he decided to take up Miguno's offer to join the rock band called the Leftovers to earn some income while dedicating himself to his full-time study at a prestigious Zimmer Music Academy that had the famous composer named Hans.

His instruments consist of his keyboard, violin and harmonica. The recorder was destroyed due to an unforeseen accident...

Even if he doesn't become a great composer, Arthur knew that inspiring others and bringing comfort through his teachings could spark something among the animals. It happened to his dad, who will never explore outer space but was happy with his decision as an astronomer and recently, a physics teacher.

Life was like a box of chocolates.

Miguno was a spotted hyena from Room 701 during his time at Cherryton. He was one of Lugosi's roommate besides Jack. It was funny since hyenas were more related to felines than canines unless the dorms don't bother to check.

Sipping his cup of tea, he was preparing himself to be on stay with his keyboard. Even though Miguno's groups were a rambunctious bunch, they were good animals. The Leftovers consist of Miguno on a lead guitar, Gar the jaguarundi on electric rhythm guitar, Mal the griffon vulture on drums and finally, Arch the Nile monitor on bass.

Arthur was still shy since he was fairly new while the band had been around since Miguno was a junior. Speaking of the spotted hyena, he came into the room from the sounds of his footsteps. "Hey, Arthur. Are you nervous about your first gig?"

"A little bit," said Arthur in a quiet tone. He had a lot to think about from his family, this life and Mizuchi. Mizuchi...he hoped she was doing well since they haven't spoken to each other after his graduation. Last time he had heard from her was her apprenticeship at a fashion company that was outside of the country. 

He could never been more proud of her.

During his performance on stage, Arthur had to play both his keyboard for the first act and his violin after the intermission. During breaks, he would drink his tea and nibble on a chocolate-orange biscuit in the studio. Sometimes, the griffon vulture named Mal would try to offer him his homemade brownies but he politely declined.

He doesn't want to be loopy just yet.

"A crowd out there, huh, Arthur?" Mal slurred his words, feeling the slumped sound of his body against an old sofa. The rest of the band were chilling out but this scavenger bird was clearly looming over him. "Come on, you've been with us for six months now. We're no strangers to you."

"I know," said Arthur, but he knew his words rang hollow. Remembering an advice Aoba had given him, he decided to do what he loved to do most. He took a seat on a stool near his keyboard.

Gently, he traced his two fingers along the keys from the white to the black. He may be blind but he knew which one was the Middle C and which could make a sharp sound. The Honduran white bat doesn't need to turn his head to know that the Leftovers were watching him in silence. The noise slowly drowned into silence as Arthur was hearing his own breathing.

He paused for a moment as he remembered the parting kiss between him and Mizuchi during his parents' wedding. That was the night she told him about her plan while he told her his. It was difficult to accept but if one does love someone, you would always be there for them, even if they were far away.

Arthur's lips began to tremble as he began to play the notes to the song. It was from a movie where a father lost his wife and children while trying to protect his only living son that was born just like him. It was very popular with the marine animals.

Tears streamed down his face as he played the opening notes. Although he had never missed a note, his mind was drifted elsewhere to his old friends at Gryphon Cross, his adventures at Cherryton and the harlequin rabbit that came into his life. These tears were just symptoms of the overwhelming love for her and he was proud to call her his lady.

As soon as he finished the song, everyone in the studio gathered around him as the blind Honduran white bat began to sob profusely with both of his wings over his face. He felt a gentle embrace from behind that was cool to the touch.

"Arthur, it's okay, we are here," Miguno whispered, patting his back. "Let it out."

His breathing was becoming ragged with each sob. He felt a paw stroking his ears while the scent of tobacco wafted the air. "It's true, Arthur," Gar the jaguarundi added. "You will meet her and your friends again. Don't know when but know that once you've met someone, they will always be in your memories. Heh, who knows... maybe you will go to Tahiti and have mangoes with them."

It was a weak attempt to cheer him up but Arthur laughed nonetheless while tears were still running down his face. He blinked to wipe away the tears and then straighten himself up. "Thanks, guys. I don't know why I'm crying. I'm such a silly sausage."

"Arthur, understand something," the deep voice of Arch the Nile monitor murmured. "You will always grow as time goes by, but here? You will always be you because you never lose your way no matter how much the world caves in."

This gave him a bit of hope as he hiccuped the last of his sobs. No matter what happens he do his best to NOT lose his way. Taking a few deep breaths, he chanted:

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

...

On the other side of the world, Mizuchi was rating a few of the of the outfits the models were wearing on the runway. The fashion show was held at a 5-star hotel that had both carnivores and herbivores as guests.

What made her love this hotel was that her Cherryton best friends, Riley and Tanya, were working there. Riley the black cat was handling things behind the bar while Tanya the raccoon was one of the hotel's concierge.

As much as she enjoyed the work life, she missed her sweet Honduran white bat.

They haven't talked to each other ever since she became an apprentice for famous herbivore clothed line, Furberry. She remembered the kissed they shared when they attended Arthur's parents' wedding. 

From the glitz and glamour, she loved all of the decorations and outfits everyone wore. It made her have some thoughts about their we- their week before going deep into their careers. If anything, she'd do anything to see his cute toothy grin and how he understands things that were different from the rest of them.

She missed him and how much he had made her happy.

"Oh, Arthur," she sighed to herself, wrapping both of her arms across her chest. "I wished you were here."

Just then, she received a message from the bellboy. Someone wanted to speak with her privately about something. Curious, she began to walk to the front door of the hotel with her heels click-clacking the cool floor.

When she saw who it was, her blood boiled.

"You..."