Stay safe thats an order pt 3

I woke up from my long sleep to find myself in my bed. My sheets were twisted and my blankets were scrunched in a distant corner of my bed. I knew that means I slept well. I stretched and felt the blood flow in my body some back. I stood up and all my joints popped in a choir of reminding me how old I feel.
I groaned and threw on some pants and a loose white shirt. I paired it with my leather belt and knee length leather boots. I brushed my hair out quickly and threw it up into a ponytail which violated my face a time or two.

I headed out of my room to the dining room where everyone was in the middle of a meal. I quietly scuttled over and took a seat next to Peter who was almost done with his breakfast.
"Well good morning sleeping beauty." Peter chuckled and handed me my plate that was pushed into the middle of the table because of my absence.
"Good morning. I didn't mean to sleep in so late."
"You're alright. We expected it anyway. You're not disappointing anyone." He whispered back
"Well I disappointed myself so I guess I'm not totally out of the woods." I shrugged as I placed my napkin on my lap.
"You're too hard on yourself y/n."
"I know, people always say it, but I just don't really understand." Peter lightly laughed and shook his head.
"One day you may. If not I'll be here to keep you away from yourself."
"Thanks. I appreciate it." I laughed but then my smile faltered. Peter was always so nice. Always there for me and ready to help whenever he could. Sometimes it didn't make sense to me. He was a king. Why would he waste his time for me? I'm the one who's supposed to be spending my free time for him.
I know we both dance around each other, hoping that things won't become awkward between each other. We both continued to be reminded of the tension between each other but we also both continued to ignore it.

Later that day I sat down at my big desk, covered with letters and other notices I had to sort.
"I really dislike my job sometimes." I sighed and flipped my hair over to the other side and started to sort. Halfway through I finally got to peters mail that I had to hand to him. Many letters in, looking almost identical to each other, I spotted an off white letter. I peeled it away from the others and looked at it. I flipped it over and looked at the seal. It was one I didn't remember. I sighed and furrowed my brows. It would be rude to open his mail but it is also my job. I held it in my hands, holding it out like it was an anomaly. I squinted at the letter and finally decided to open it. I quickly hit carefully opened the letter and looked at the note. The lettering was swirly and some flourishes jutted out from the corner.
My heart sunk as I instantly knew what it was. A proposal letter. Not uncommon for Peter as he was the high king of one of the most profound countries known to man. I had seen Edmund get a few of these before while sorting mail which stopped me in my tracks. I mean sure Edmund was a great guy and very smart too, but there was just something that astonished me to think about it Edmund being married.
I laughed a little out loud as I thought about Edmund being married. He said he hated love but he hated forcefully being with people he doesn't enjoy even more so. I sighed and tucked the not back in the envelope. I was going to reseal it and put it in peters pile but some force stopped me. I looked at the letter and then at his pile.
"He won't know." I shrugged as I tried to convince myself aloud that it wasn't a terrible idea.
I shook my head and put it in the pile where it was supposed to go.
"You can't do that y/n. It's not right. Just because you're jealous doesn't mean he shouldn't know."
I grumbled and left the letter on the stack.
There was a knock at the door which startled me.
"Oh come in." I called. The door opened with a groan and Peter walked in wearing a blue shirt which was my favorite. "Oh Peter! Hey."
I stood quickly and walked in between my desk and him.
"Hey, I'm here for my mail."
"O-okay." I turned and looked at the mail. I saw the letter and I couldn't control myself I pushed the mail off the desk and pretended like it was an accident. I made sure the proposal slipped away and knelt down.
"Oh my god I'm useless." I groaned.
"It's alright. I'll help." Peter knelt down next to me and collected his mail as well.
"I'm just not holding it together well." I shook my head and handed him his mail.
"It's alright y/n. We all have troubled days. Don't beat yourself up about it."
"You know me." I laughed.
"Right."
We both stood up and I looked at him with a huff.
"There you go." I handed him the last envelope and he nodded.
"Thank you love."
My heart skipped a beat and I felt my face to go red.
"Uh-y-yeah you're welcome."
Peter turned on his heels and walked out of the room. I stood in the middle of the room and watched the door that previously let him in and out.
The nickname stuck in my mind and swirled around in my stomach.
Love. It didn't mean anything did it? Did he mean to say it? If he did, did he mean it in the way I took it?

Later that week there was a ball being held as a charity.
I had gotten ready in some formal pants, a white flowing top, and some black knee length boots. I did whatever I wanted with my hair and accessorized how I felt as well.
I walked out of my room when I heard the violins and piano kick up meaning guests were arriving.

I mingled around and made small talk with the guests. Most men saw me as an equal and most women asked how to be like me. I took everything as a compliment of course but it still made me awkward.
"Could I possibly steal y/n from you? respectfully of course." A voice chimed.
"Of course your highness."
Peter grabbed my hand and pulled me away.
"You look miserable out there." Peter whispered as he pulled me to the end of the room.
"I'm dying out there." I puffed my shirt to create a breeze.
"It's alright. You'll get used to it."
"I'm supposed to stay on the inside of this kingdom. Mail, scheduling, correlation of countries in a professional way. Not fluttering around giving shallow compliments to royals who probably hate me."
"You think too much about formalities."
"It's all I think about."
We both shared a smile and soon we heard heels clicking toward us. I looked over to where Peter was now raising his hand.
"Lady King. How nice to see you tonight."
"Thank you your highness." She curtsied and he kissed her hand gently.
My heart started to pump faster and my feet started to feel uncomfortable to stand on.
"I do hope that your response letter will show up shortly. Must have gotten lost." She added afterward
"Response letter?" Peter tilted his head in confusion.
"To my proposal. I sent it weeks ago."
My heart sank as I knew what had become of this letter. I tried to avert my gaze or find anything that could take me away from this awkward conversation
"I never received a proposal letter."
"Oh dear! What is happening to the mail?!" Lady king laughed
"I don't know. You see my noblewoman had gone on a long trip and she was in charge of the mail so we had to find a substitute. It must have gotten mixed up then. I'm so sorry about that."
"It's quite alright dear. I'll send another one shortly."
"I appreciate the kindness."

The ball had soon ended and while I was changing into more comfortable clothes, I couldn't get the conversation out of my head.
"She was so sweet about it. She doesn't even know I'm at fault. How could I be so selfish?" I groaned and sat myself down on my bed.
I wiped my eyes as a tear fell.
"No don't cry. You're a noblewoman! You're better than this."
I was finished getting changed when I heard a knock.
"Come in."
The door opened and Peter stepped inside, closing the door behind him. I turned away from him to sort out some clothes on my dresser.
"Hey y/n, I just wanted to talk about the mail."
I instantly froze and I could feel the tension in my back.
"Uh-I-well..." I turned to him.
"I know you said you'd fix it and it's fine if you haven't gotten to it. I really don't mind at all."
"Peter I-"
"No seriously, I know you said you'd get right to it but you don't have to feel so rushed."
"Peter please just-" It was no use
"And don't take offense to the scene that happened tonight, it's not your fault you just got back you wouldn't know."
"Peter I fixed the mail system yesterday!" I shouted.
Peter stopped before he could speak again and looked at me with a confused face.
"What?"
"I fixed the system yesterday. It was an easy fix and it was done by the time your mail came in." I admitted whole heartedly.
"So then why didn't Lady Kings letter show up?" Peter looked puzzled
I looked at him with sorry eyes and then walked to my desk. I opened the drawer carefully and then picked up the letter. I walked back over and then handed it to him
"I kept it. I'm sorry."