Strong woman

Set in the same time period but no narnia exists! Just some regular old 40s-50s life...without the misogyny and sexism
Domestic bliss n shit 😌✨
~~~~~~~~
"Hi Peter!"
"Hi love." He greeted me with a chaste kiss as he set down his briefcase.
"How was work?"
"It was fine. I'm exhausted though."
"I bet. Working hard for that raise?"
"What raise?" Peter laughed
"You didn't hear?" I furrowed my brows.
"Hear what?"
"Your company is handing out raises."
"I haven't heard that no."
"John just got a raise. His wife just told me."
"How long have they been doing this?"
"A couple days I think." I crossed my arms after folding a shirt.
"Oh." Peter seemed saddened he wasn't informed of it.
"It's alright Peter. You don't need it." I rubbed his arm and he sighed
"I know. I would like to have it though."
"I know you do." I cooed
"I want to get this house we've been looking at. I want to get it for you."
I chuckled at his heroic statement.
"I love the thought Peter but there are just a couple things about that. One, I am making the money for the house. And two, this house is just fine. I know that house is like our dream, but we don't have to have it to be happy. I'm happy wherever I am with you."
I wrapped my arms around his waist and kissed his cheek.
"I know love. And I feel the same. It would be nice though."

Third pov
Peter looked over at the fridge and saw the printed picture of the house and the listing price. He sighed and began to hurt inside. He wondered why he wasn't offered the raise. He knew a lot more people needed it and deserved it as much as he did but he couldn't help but feel a little selfish.
"It's alright Peter." Y/n whispered as she walked past him to the bedroom.
Dinner was quiet and y/n felt bad for mentioning it to him. She felt like it was her fault he was sad.
"Peter. I'm sorry for bringing it up." She set her spoon down on her white glass plate and hung her head
"It's not your fault love." He shook his head. "You just hoped for the best and it didn't happen."
She frowned and decided she was done eating.
She picked up her plate and went to take a shower. Their nightly routine was quieter than it usually was. It ended with Peter laying in bed reading a book that he was interested in.
"How's your book going?" Y/n asked after she stepped out of the hot bathroom, hoping to break the silence that had been lingering all afternoon went following them into the night.
"Good. I'm just to the middle."
"And what's the verdict so far?" She asked as she sat herself down on the bed, peering onto the pages.
"Wonderful. It's a beautiful concept. Highly improbable, impossible even, but it's still encapsulating none the less."
"It's a fantasy novel honey, of course it's impossible."
"Well some aspects of fantasy can be real."
"Like what?"
"Well like the power of love. Pretty reoccurring theme in a lot of fantasy novels."
"Okay, you got me there."
She shuffled and laid herself down, resting her head on his shoulder.
"Going to sleep already?"
"Yeah. I'm tired. And I have work in the morning."
"You're getting an awful lot of hours. Soon it'll be a full time job."
"And society would slaughter me if that happened." I rolled my eyes as the sarcasm dripped from my tongue.
"The world will change one strong woman at a time."
Y/n hummed at the phrase and closed her eyes. Peter had put down his book and turned off the bedside lamp. He pulled her closer to him and she rested her head over his heart now.
"Goodnight love." He whispered rubbing her back.
"Goodnight Peter," she mumbled.

The morning came quick and so did the afternoon. Y/n was off of work by noon and was home when Peter walked in.
"Hey, you're home early. It's only three."
"Yeah I know." Peter set his stuff down quickly and walked over to her.
"What's up?" She looked at him.
"I have some news." His tone and face gave no indication of the type of news. "It's about work."
Her heart sunk. This particular topic didn't bring joy to them instantly for the past day or two.
"What is it? Is everything alright?"
"Well I think it might interfere with your job."
"What? What happened? Did you get fired?"
"No no." He was quiet, keeping his eyes on his feet.
"Did you get a raise?!" She was hoping the rejection of bad news meant good news but her question was once again rejected
"Damn Peter. I'm sorry."
"It's okay. Because I got a promotion." She froze and looked at him. He raised his head and he was smiling wide.
"You're kidding." She started.
"No. I did. I got a promotion."
"To what?"
"Executive CEO assistant."
All y/n could do was stare until her body was put into motion, she threw herself around Peter and he spun her around.
"That's incredible Peter! I'm so happy for you." Tears started to form in her eyes.
"And I did some calculations, if I did everything right and you continue to save for the house along with me and keep the hours you've been working, we will have enough by the spring to get the house we want."
"Peter! Stop! This is too much!"
"I'm serious! We can buy the house." She pressed herself to him, keeping her arms latched around him. "Look. That house right there could be ours by spring." He pointed to the picture on the fridge.
"That would be literally the best. But your promotion. That's huge Peter. You have been working so hard for it."
"I know. And don't get me wrong, I love the fact I got it, but my ego is not just why I wanted it."
She laughed into his neck and played with the hair on the back of his head.
"Can you imagine it? Move out of here and into a house by spring, by summer I could get a car, by the end of the year... maybe get married and start a family." He said the last part hesitantly.