Theres always a guy pt 3

Each day was miserable to see them together. But it started to get really miserable when Peter wouldn't even talk to me. But it wasn't because he was busy with his girlfriend, it was because he was heartbroken. After only a month together they broke up. And it was pathetic to me but he really liked her. I didn't know how to comfort him, knowing my feelings would probably get in the way, but I wanted to do at least something small. He was in class when I was back at the dorm. I knew I couldn't do anything super emotional so I decided to do what I do best. Make him laugh.
I looked at the closed door of his room and then I got an idea. With a smirk on my face I got up from the couch and walked into his room. I made a beeline to the closet doors and swung them open.
"Where are you you little fucker." I chuckled as I scanned his closet for the item I was looking for. I pushed his clothes to the side until I found it.
"There you are."
I pulled it off the hanger and walked to my room. I found an outfit to center around it and smiled as I looked in the mirror.
"Oh this is good. This is real good." I looked at the outfit and realized I really liked it "almost... too good." He was definitely gonna laugh.
I sat on the couch fiddling on my phone till I would leave for the next class, Peter and Is shared class. Peter had to come back before heading to our shared class so that's when he'd see my outfit. There was a jingling from the other side of the door and I smiled as I saw it open.
"Hey." I smiled.
Peter just hummed at me and set his keys down.
"Ready for class?" He asked.
"Yep." I hopped up from laying on the couch and got my bag and my books sitting next to it on the table.
"Woah. What are you wearing?" Peters eyes went wide.
"What, you don't like my sweater?" I smiled at him.
"Is that the thrift store sweater?" He smiled.
"Maybe." I laughed.
"You're such a dork. I thought you hated that thing."
"I do. But I thought it would make you laugh."
"You did it just because you wanted me to laugh?" His face seemed sincere.
"Yeah."
"Why?"
"Because you're sad. And you're my best friend. I wanted you to be happy at least for a little while."
"Thank you y/n. I know I've been a downer recently. I don't mean to be. I guess I just felt it harder than i thought."
"Peter. You're an emotional guy. You feel things a lot more than most people. So it's no surprise you're taking it a little harder than most."
"I just feel stupid." He shook his head. I walked closer and placed my arm on his bicep.
"Don't feel stupid Peter, they are your emotions. Feel them. At least you acknowledge them. That's what makes you a great guy. And anyone who breaks your heart doesn't see that and that's their problem."
"Thanks. Let's just get to class."
I put my hand on his shoulder and walked out of the dorm.

I set my books down on my desk and Peter followed suit.
"Did you finish the homework from last night?" I asked Peter pulling my hair away from my face. I got no response. "Peter? Are you listening?"
"Huh? Sorry. No I wasn't. What did you say?" I looked over at what was distracting him and saw her.
"Peter stop it. You're making it worse for yourself." I put my hand on his shoulder blade and turned him back to his seat.
"I just can't do it. It's so hard."
"I know. But you're here for you, not for her."
Class started and the teachers monotone voice kept the class at least docile. I cracked open my textbook and my notes and became to copy what he was saying. This year I was prepared to pass. I had gotten new supplies and I was committed to running those supplies dry. I was deep into my notes when I saw a disturbance out of the corner of my eye. I looked up to see Peter staring at his ex girlfriend while she was deep into her notes. I kicked is leg and he looked over at me. I pointed to his notes with my pen and scribbled in the air with a nod. He sighed and went back to his notes.
"Hey did you get the last bullet point? I missed it." I whispered over to Peter. He didn't respond so I looked over at his notes. He was scribbling on the side and wasn't even taking notes.
"Hey!" I scolded hitting his arm "pay attention! What the hell is wrong with you." I scoffed and went back to my notes. It was fine at first but now this was affecting his school work. It rubbed me the wrong way how he was acting. They dated for a month and broke up. It's not like anything traumatic happened. Right? I sighed and went back to my notes, knowing I'd have to watch the lesson over again online to get the bullet I missed.
I tapped my foot closing off the notes for the class. I only missed that one bullet point and that was more than I can say I've ever done.
I chucked my notebook back in my small bag and heaved as I picked up my textbook.
"Ready?" I asked getting my stuff and looking over to Peter.
"Yes please. Get me out of here."
I rolled my eyes and walked behind him as he scooted out of the aisle.
"Hey Peter!" A voice called from behind us. I turned back to see a walking closet jogging toward us. I turned back and grabbed peters arm.
"Don't turn around, pretend you're talking to me if she comes over. Say you didn't hear anything because I'm loud."
"What?" He asked.
"No! Cause I'm serious! I promise I'm trying to get better at studying! My notes look flawless! Seriously look!" I pulled out my notebook and handed it to him.
"Wow wait these are actually good." A shadow seemed to appear behind Peter and Peter sensing the presence, turned to his despair.
"Hey, didn't you hear me?"
"Uh..." Peter looked at me "no sorry, y/n was talking really loud."
"Oh that's alright. I was wondering if we could talk? About us?" She stopped peter by grabbing his hand. He turned to her and his face couldn't hide the pain he was feeling
"Peter we are going to be late for our study group." I popped up over his shoulder.
"Right. Umm maybe later for that talk but I promised this study group to her so I have to go."
"Alright. I'll get you later then!"
She walked off without a goodbye, her kindness starting to melt away from the fire of her anger.
"Yikes." I whispered.
"Yeah. Yikes is right." He watched as she walked off violently, taking hard steps in her two inch heels down the pathway.
"When did she get so mean? She was always so nice when I talked to her."
"That's because she was with me."
"What do you mean?" I furrowed my brows
"She only wanted to be nice to you because you were my best friend."
"What?"
"Hey, don't feel offended. She's a bitch."
"Is that why you guys broke up?" His face morphed and then he looked away. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you."
"No it's fine... we broke up because she cheated on me."
"She what?!" My heart sunk. He never told me that part. To be fair he didn't tell me anything but it hurt that he didn't feel like he could tell me that. "Why didn't you tell me?"
"Because I know you'd be upset."
"Yeah I am upset. She's a bitch."
"This is exactly why I didn't tell you. Because I don't want you to be hurt too."
"What does that even mean?"
"Y/n." He stopped so I stopped and turned to face him. "You love me way too much to feel any separation in emotions."
I looked into his eyes and my heart started to pound. He doesn't know I have a crush on him right? Please tell me he doesn't know. God I'd be so embarrassed.
"Don't get me wrong." He backtracked "I literally am not upset with that at all. The fact that you care so much means everything to me. But I'm not gonna risk you feeling hurt too because of something shitty she did." He brushed his fingers against my hand and grabbed my fingers. I looked down at him and my stomach started to flip. He was holding my hand. He was known to be affectionate and physical with people but my brian wouldn't let it count for anything less than a significant moment.
"I just... I just want my friends to be happy." The word friends cut out of my throat like a knife. There were many many times in my mind where I wish I could stop using that word to describe him.
"I know you do. And that's something I love about you." He titled his head with a smile.
Please don't say that word to me. Please. I'm already having a hard enough time telling myself it's not going to happen. My brain was crying. Thinking about how much pain I was in.
There was a moment where it was just our eyes locking with each other's. If I could drown in his blue eyes I would. They sparkled at this time of day. They were so clear. He had definitely gotten older. He used to just be a boy but now he's... a guy. A guy that I look at and feel things for.
I sighed and looked away.
"I need to get to class." I nodded my head in the direction I needed to walk.
"Okay, I'll see you back at the dorm."
I waved to him and walked out of his sight. As soon as I did, I started to cry. I didn't know what started it but I think the relief of being out of his presence sparked a release in me.
I walked into class, stuffing my tears down and wiping my eyes. I was not going to be able to pay attention in this class.

Classes were over for the day and I was a little hesitant to go back to the dorms so I headed to the cafeteria for a cup of something warm.
I sat down with my little white porcelain cup and opened my textbook to finish the notes I missed for last class. It felt nice in the moment. To be alone, the cafe was quiet, there was barely anyone there letting me keep focus on my work. I hadn't even thought about Peter the entire time. An hour had passed, then another and finally one more till I got a text. My phone rattled on the table and I flipped it over to see who texted.
Peter <3
When are you coming back? It's almost almost 7!
I quickly replied with "I'll be back in a minute. Packing up now."
He just sent a thumbs up back and I packed my bag and walked back to the dorm.

"Hey, you were out for a while. What were you doing? Talking to someone?" He smirked.
"No. I was finish up some notes from class. I couldn't focus in class so I had to catch up." My voice was low and tired sounding
"Something on your mind?" Peter searched my face for something but I just shook my head. "Okay. Well there's some food in the oven for you."
"Thanks." I pulled it out and sat at the table poking at my food. I contemplated what life would be like if I told him. What if he hated me? But on the other hand what if he liked me back? And what if we started going out? How awesome would that be? I was imagining what life would be like then, if he did return my feelings. I'd imagine we'd get to walk to class together holding hands. And he would let me borrow his nice gel pens that I've always tried to steal.
"Y/n!" I jumped out of my skin as Peter called my name harshly.
"Huh?" I asked looking up.
"Damn, you were zoned out for a while. You sure you're okay?"
"I'm fine Peter." I placed my fork down and got up from the table.
"You can talk to me. You know that right?" He walked closer
"I know. Just... not about this." I scrubbed my plate hard, trying to keep my focus on the cleaning.
"So there is something going on." He walked closer, trying to get my attention.
"Yes but you can't help me." I started to raise my voice.
"At leats let me try."
"Well stop trying Peter!" I snapped at him. I immediately regretted it and put the plate down. I grasped the edge of the table and sighed "I'm sorry. Im sorry Peter. I didn't mean to yell at you."
"It's alright. You're stressed. It's normal." His voice matched the softness of my own.
"You just can't help me with this. It'll just make it worse."
"Okay. But just know I'll be here."
"I know." My voice cracked as tears started to fall. I covered my mouth with my hand. Peter opened his arms for a hug and I couldn't think of how to avoid it so I walked up to him and pressed my ear to his chest.
"You'll be okay. I don't know what you're going through, but just know, it will be okay, however it turns out. Just know I love you and I'll always be here for support."
I couldn't say anything, just convulse in sadness as I felt his warmth. We hugged more often than most friends would but not enough to where I don't engrain every hug in the back of my mind.
I finally let go of him and wiped my eyes with my sleeve.
"Go get some sleep." He rubbed my back. I nodded and just walked off to my room.